Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Bailey


Bailey had a check-up today. He is over his cold but it was time for one of his shots and Brenda Bright stopped by to give it to him and check him out.

He is 13 and 1/2 years old and I worry about the day when he won't be here but he is is good shape - His heart and lungs were good sounding and while he has a cataract forming Brenda said it was nothing to worry much about. She said she could see his retina and if she could see it then he could see us.

My mother died in January 14 years ago. The house was very lonley and I wanted a dog. I had always wanted a Yorkie. Some friends of mine had one in the 60's and I really liked the breed. I almost had one but the dumb owner sold it to someone else. I can remember she said that the person she sold it to acted like they really needed it. My reply was - "So did I" - You see she had told me I could have it but I had to teach so I didn't get there until the next day and she sold it right out from under me. I was disappointed.

However it worked out because I found some folks in Boone who had some puppies. Bailey was born on August 25 and was about 6 weeks old when I got him. I fell in love with him instantly and he has been my companion and friend ever since. I kept him in a kennel when I was at school for awhile but pretty soon he let me know that he really didn't like it and so pretty soon I gave him the run of the house when I was gone. He was fine.

In the day if I am sitting in my recliner he is most often leaning up against my leg. At night both he and Max (my nephew's (and sister's) sheltie) both sleep in the bedroom with me. Bailey has a little step stool so he can climb up on the bed and Max sleeps at the foot of the bed. Bailey leans up against me but he does not like to cuddle.

If you look at the picture above you will see Bailey with his "ball" it is almost bigger than he is. He grabs a small (or large) stuffed toy and pushes the ball with his front feet. He is pretty good about it and is obsessive. He won't quit so most of the time the "ball" is up in the cupboard.

Anyway I am probably boring you. My blog used to be subtitled "the most boring blog in the universe." I fear that sometimes it gets that way again. I started out to tell you about Brenda and wound up telling you about Bailey. Brenda is a super vet and she makes house calls. I used to hate taking the animals to the vet hospital. With Brenda coming to the house it is much less stressful for him and the neat thing about it is that she lives about two blocks from me on the same street.

So Bailey got a clean bill of health and is good to go. By the way the little guy's Kennel name is Bailey's Irish Gizmo because he used to look like the Gizmo in the movie and also because the initials spell out BIG.

Thanks for stoppng by. Hugs and Always Remember That You Are Loved. jcs

3 comments:

Dianne said...

I'm glad that Bailey is doing well, he is a sweet guy

and so are you

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

This was not boring at all. I've been wondering about Bailey since you mentioned his cold. He is such a cutie.

I already wonder what I'll do if I ever lose Smokey, and he's only four. They really worm their way into our hearts, don't they?

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

Oh my yes. He is my Buddy!