Thursday, January 15, 2009

Bob's Dogs

Sun dogs visited us in Ames, Iowa on Wednesday, January 14, 2009. They were evident because it was very cold, we had a clear sky and full sun, and most important of all we had some strong winds blowing snow crystals up into the atmosphere. When that happens the hexagonal ice crystals act like millions of prisms relfecting the rainbow colors as you see in this photo taken a few years ago near Nevada, Iowa.


I did not go out and photograph the sundogs of Wednesday, but should have! I waited until this morning and was up and out in the countryside by 7 AM, and as my car's external thermometer showed -30 degrees Farenheit, I patiently waited for the sun to rise and "Let the Dogs Out," but to no avail. There was plenty of cold and full sun this morning, but not enough wind to make the ice crystals suspend themselves in the sky for the prismatic effect to occur. Had it done so the effect would be similar to what you see above. Instead it was a gorgeous fireball sunrise anyway and here is what it looked like. This was still worth the trip, the cold, and the loss of a bit of sleep. Sun Dogs are somewhat like fishing....you are never sure what you are going to get, if anything at all, but it is fun trying!

Note from Jay: - I saw the "dogs" yesterday and unfortunately I did not have my camera with me. That will teach me. The other 'dogs" - the ones I live with went out this morning and it was so cold that Bailey's back legs froze up and I had to step outside to pull him in. I held him for about 5 minutes to warm him up. Since then he has been resting next to me (still trying to warm up I think) - As I said yesterday "Holy Crap it is cold! -

No comments: