Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sunday Wisdom


From One Mountain, Many Paths
An American Freemason Speaks Out for Peace
by Dr. Patrick Swift
Click book or here to go to the page and buy it for yourself,

It is better to build bridges than walls


Tanzanian Proverb
Indigenous Africans

Know all human beings to be repositories of Divine Light; Stop not to inquire about their caste; In the hereafter there are no castes.


Shri Guru Granth Sahib 8:3.1
Sikhism

Today's quotations speak to me about the value of all people. There are no inferior people. I think that after seeing Slumdog Millionaire yesterday this was a particularly appropriate page to find in the book. There are many in this world who are looked down upon and patronized by the "upper classes" - In America the "caste system" rests on money. Or at least that is the way it seems to those of us who don't have much. (Don't get me wrong, I am not by any means hurting but I don't have F You money as one of my friends describes it.) Those who have a lot of money can do one of two things. They can keep it or they can "spread it around" as Dolly says in Hello Dolly.

Bill and Melinda Gates established a Foundation to help people. But there remain far to many who "sit on their money" and to heck with anyone who is "poor" - In our society there are those who have a lot of money and ignore or don't see the people all around them who are struggling. Those people are deemed inferior - of an "Untouchable Caste" Sometimes even as they give they "look down" upon those who do not have money. As if it were their fault that they are in that situation. Many times it is not their fault. I know of one family here in town where the father is struggling to help his wife and four children. It is really not his fault that the economy is the way it is. I cannot imagine how hard it must be for him.

Don't get me wrong. I do not by any means feel that all people with money are that way. To some of them having money is an opportunity to help others and they see the worth and value of each and every person. They see the Divine Light (or as one church I attended puts it "the Christ") in everyone.

If you think about Jesua and his preaching
Matthew
16 And behold, one came up to him, saying, "Teacher, what good deed must I do, to have eternal life?"
{...}
18 He said to him, "Which?" And Jesus said,"You shall not kill, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness.
19 Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself."
20 The young man said to him, "All these I have observed; what do I still lack?"
21 Jesus said to him, "If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me."
22 When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful; for he had great possessions.

The same message is repeated in Mark and Luke.

4 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.

Jesus did not see caste. He invited everyone to the table.
That offended many and may have been the real reason they killed him We, however, have his example try to live up to. Unfortunately, his message has been so lost that many think that just by saying they "accept Jesus" they will be saved. I really think there is more to it than that. I am 67 years old and I am still learning my way in this world. I make mistakes and then I have to back up and try again. I guess it will always be that way.

No comments: