Saturday, January 24, 2009

Simply Saturday

I had a really nice day today. Of course, I should have been doing some "things" but I didn't. First of all Craig and I went to Des Moines for the Annual blue Lodge Breakfast at the Des Moines Consistory.
Some pictures of that event.


We had to be there at 8:00 and it was funny - we both brought the other coffee for the ride down. When he picked e up I went out to the car with two travel mugs of coffee and as I got in he was holding on to a travel mug of coffee for me and there was one in his cup holder for him. So we had plenty of coffee. It was a good drive down and we did some visiting.

We got back into town around 10:00 (didn't stay for the Cribbage Tournament) and I caught up on reading my e-mails and blogs. Then I checked out the movies and found out that Slumdog Millionaire had finally arrived in Ames. I had heard good things about the movie.

Set and filmed in India, Slumdog Millionaire tells the story of a young man from the Dharavi slums of Mumbai who appears on Kaun Banega Crorepati (the Indian version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?) and exceeds people's expectations, arousing the suspicions of the game show host and of law enforcement officials.
The story is told through a series of flashbacks and had some quite disturbing scenes. The overall impression of India did not match up with the PBS shows I had just watched on Channel 11 during the past three weeks but it was probably more realistic in some ways. The movie was well acted and kept me on the edge of my seat. It is nominated for an Acadamy Award for Best Picture.

The other nominees are probably good pictures. (The only other one I have seen so far is Milk.) I plan to see Frost/Nixon, I really have no desire to see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and I don't know anything about The Reader. But they will have to go some to beat this picture for me. So far it has my vote. I like the optimistic story of a kid who has everything against him having a chance to find happiness.

When I came home I read some e-mails and caught up on my blogs and then noticed that Elephant Walk was on cable. This 1954 (my, how long ago that was) movie starred Elizabeth Taylor and was set in Ceylon so I watched it. I really liked it. Of course it was set in a time when the British were governing that country and it was very dated and strange in some ways but it kept my attention and I enjoyed it tremendously and Elizabeth Taylor was/is the most beautiful woman in the world ever (IMHO) - I actually find Sophia Loren and Gina Lola... Actually they are both close seconds. Whatever happened to that type of woman. Now we get skinny Nicole, or Julia Roberts or Madonna - Oh well, you know what I mean. They just don't make them like those gals anymore - and have you seen Jane....

Enough of that. For an update on poor Bailey. He is better. Not as congested or wheezey but he is still laying around and sleeping and he lets me pick him up and cuddle so I know he isn't quite back up to par. Sleep is good for him as it will be for me. But now it is time to check my e-mails and read my blogs and finish watching the SiFi Channel's (stupid) Merlin's Apprentice. - Were do they get these ideas for movies and why am I watching it? Thanks for stopping by and ARTYAL Hugs, j

No comments: