Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee


The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee


Official Web Site

Tonight I had the delightful experience of attending opening night of the Tony Award Winning Broadway Musical - The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee at the Des Moines Civic Center.

I had a front row center seat. And I loved it. I was familiar with the music because a couple of years ago on one of the Blogs I read someone suggested that it was a great show with great music and I should purchase the CD. I did and it was.

My friends Jack and Caorle Horowitz were also in the audience. (Remember I ran into them at the Opera also.) I am anxious to get their reaction. (Carole we should have lunch.)

I have been in front row seats for three events at the Civic Center. Liza Minnelli (Fortunately I was over at the side for that one as she had a lot of spit coming out of her mouth), Mamma Mia, and this one. I loved being there and seeing the faces up close.

This show kept me laughing for an hour and 45 minutes. I suggest you run to your ticket booth and see if you can get tickets. It is here through April 13 and well worth the price of admission. The touring company is very talented and I enjoyed every minute.

I would not have thought that a Spelling Bee could be so much fun.

An unusual aspect of the show is that four real audience members are invited on stage to compete in the spelling bee alongside the six young characters. They picked good ones for the parts. I am not sure if it was planned or not but one of them actually was a good enough speller that they had to pass him and then gave him another more difficult word to make him lose. The audience really enjoyed that.

My favorite actor in the play was Andrew Keenan-Bolger. His Web Site and Blog are here. There was something about him that was fresh and talented and just fun. Roberta Duchak was also great fun in the play. Her web site is here. Actually all of the actors were talented, and the entire evening is one I would recommend with 10 out of 10 stars. It was that good.

They announced next year's season at the Civic Center tonight. They will have the following
  • Womething Wicked this Way Comes
  • Frost Nixon
  • Spring Awakening
  • Legally Blonde
  • The Color Purple
Special Presentations include:
  • Rain
  • Monty Python's Spamalot
  • Hairspray
  • Mamma Mia

You know I was feeling a little bit sorry for myself because I was going to this alone. Although I don't see why I should feel that way as I seem to generally go to these things alone. I picked up my winning tickets to Craig Ferguson (did I tell you that I won tickets to that? I had two tickets and then won two more. they are going to a good home), went to the Gateway Market for un-necessaries, had supper at Chef's Kitchen - alone and then went to Starbucks at the Temple For The Performing Arts and read the delightful Friday Night Knitting Club for awhile while I waited for time to go to the play. And I was still feeling sad. (I get that way at times) but it was good for me to do those things and the play was a great pick me up.

Jon was here when I got home. He is still hoping to get the offer from Purdue. He is next on the list. One professor has two candidates waiting. If one of them decides not to go he will get the next offer. So if any of you out there in the Blogosphere have any influence with the gods send good thoughts his way. Thanks for reading this, ARTYAL, Hugs, j-bear

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'll fire up my cauldron and brew up a blessing for jon.

Dianne said...

cathy's cauldron is mighty powerful

you won Craig tickets!? that's so cool.

I go places alone all the time - I feel sad at times but I often end up having a great time. and you know me - I'll talk to anyone and everyone.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jay!
I was surfing today on our day off and found your site! Thanks for the nice mention and I'm so glad you enjoyed our show "Spelling Bee." We all had a wonderful time in Des Moines!
Thanks for supporting the arts!
Roberta Duchak
www.robertaduchak.net
a.k.a Rona Lisa Peretti!