Friday, April 11, 2008

The Lieutenant of Inishmore

The sign on the outside of the theater and the flyer on the inside of the program says:

Audience Advisory
"The Lieutenant of Inishmore"

Contains violent scenes
that some may find disturbing.
Graphic blood violence
Loud gun shots
And let's not forget adult language!

(Now to be fair the Des Moines Register article about the Gallery Night in Valley Junction contains this note: "Contains graphic violence, adult language and loud gunshots." - Somebody goofed.)

And it did. This is the fourth production this year from Stagewest, a contemporary theater company in Des Moines. Their Website describes it as:

Lauded as "Monty Python meets Quentin Tarantino," this wild black comedy opens with the brutal murder of Wee Thomas on a lonely road on the island of Inishmore. Never mind that Wee Thomas is a cat. The real problem is "Mad Padriac," the feline's owner and a militant in the Irish Liberation Army. Padriac loves his cat more than life itself, he's mad...and someone is going to pay! In the tradition of great Irish Storytellers, McDonagh again ("The Pillowman," "The Beauty Queen of Leenane") weaves a gleeful and gory tale that has left audiences worldwide gasping, howling, and buzzing with excitement.

I was prepared for an evening of theater that I would not like. I was wrong. Sure it was dark comedy, sure it started with a dead cat, yes there was language (but somehow the Irish accent made it seem less offensive) and there was blood and graphic violence. However you see all that on the evening news.

But there was talent and laughter and Monty Python "off the wall" humor and I loved it.

A very talented cast carried the show and I was quickly drawn into the story and the humor. There are only two more performances scheduled.

You know I am so glad I became a "virgin" subscriber to the StageWest. They announced next year's plays tonight and I am really looking forward to some of them. "The History Boys" is one I saw in the movie theater and I think I will enjoy it.

I had to miss the Friday Night of the second weekend of the Scottish Rite Reunion but that was all right. I will go to that tomorrow. ARTYAL, Hugs, j-bear

No comments: