Friday, April 18, 2008

Ames Historical Society

We don't actually have a Museum in Ames but we have a society and they are doing a great job. They provide programs and research the history of our little town. It is important work.
I stopped by the Society (Link on the left) this noon after lunch to pay my dues. I had gotten the newsletter the other day and realized it was time to pay again. I also paid Jon's. My friend and classmate from elementary school was not there but they took my money anyway. Dennis is remodeling his basement.
The newsletter had a long article about my friend and Brother Adel Throckmorton in it. Adel left the Society a nice bequest. He was very active in many things. I thought the article left out some of his Masonic accomplishments but that was from my standpoint. It was a very good article and I learned some things I had not known. One thing was that the restaurant that he and his family ran was where the May House is today and that they sold it to Alice Dykes who was a friend of ours and Mary Cooper's mother.
These are some of the displays you can see if you stop by the Society and while you are there you can join or make a donation. I also dontated most of the "family" pictures to them. That is where they should be rather than moldering in the basement.
This is the antique game table that I donated to the Society. I wish we had a real museum but this is a start.

No comments: