Sunday, April 27, 2008

La Fille du Régiment (new production) – Donizetti

I was not able to go see this production live yesterday and I heard part of it on the radio and it sounded really fun so I went this afternoon. The Met web site has this to say about the production.

Experience the “exceedingly yummy operatic cake” that was called “the operatic show of the season” by The Times of London when it opened at Covent Garden this past winter. Audiences were dazzled by Natalie Dessay’s fearless coloratura and impeccable comic timing and by Juan Diego Flórez’s remarkable musicality — complete with the famous high Cs. Dessay and Flórez are an “operatic coupling made in heaven” raved the Financial Times. Directed by Laurent Pelly, the production also boasts stage legend and Tony Award® winner Marian Seldes as the Duchess of Krakenthorp.
From the first notes of the French Horn until the last beat by the marvelous conductor I was entertained masterfully. Natalie Dessay was perfect as the orphan girl raised by a French Regiment. Her vocals were stunning and her comedic talents were perfection personified. Juan Diego Flórez as the young Swiss native who falls in love with the Daughter of the Regiment sang the role that cataputled Pavarati to stardom also to perfection.

This is comic opera at its best and I am so glad I went. I think that I was the only person in the theater who was laughing out loud at times but it tickled me so much and took me out of my "down feelings" (at least for the three hours of the performance) that I am very grateful. One of the funniest scenes (to me) was the ballet of the four maids cleaning.

Next season there will be eleven opera's in the theater. Check out the season here. As soon as I post this I am putting them on my calendar. See you at the Met.

No comments: