Thursday, May 17, 2007

George Underwood

There are two George Underwoods in my family. George Underwood who was my great grandfather and was Master of Arcadia Lodge in 1881 and 1883 can be seen and read about here.

The other George Underwood lives in Federal Way, Washington. He turned 88 years old May 1 and from time to time he calls to keep in touch. He had an interesting life. He served our country in four wars. He was in the regular service and then as a special agent in "civilian clothes." He has lived all over the world and I can remember when my grandparents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary he sent flowers from Hawaii.

I have been to Seattle twice and got to visit with him both times. He has two daughters who live there and they are great girls. Linda and Diane. Their mother, Wanda, passed several years ago and she was one I remember with fondness. I remember also one time when we lived north of town when George came for a visit. We sat up late and he told me about some of the things he had done in his work for the government.

Anyway George called tonight and it was good to visit with him. George would like to come back to Ames for a visit but he does not think that anyone back here would remember him. And he is probably right. He is 88. We were talking about his Aunt (my great-aunt) Ethyl who raised him after his parents died saying that she was "the last leaf on the tree". George feels that way now.

George was an all-state football player and I think he would have been pleased had the Ames Alumni Association recognized him for that but they don't seem to be able to do that.

George wanted Ginny's phone number so I gave it to him. So Ginny, expect a call. Be ready to tape your show when he calls because he likes to visit. I don't mind visiting with him. He remembers me as a kid and tells me he is proud of me and he loves me. So you see.

George was raised in Christian Science but he left that after his sister died. Now I think he is a member of the Assembly of God. He is very religious and told me he prays a lot. I told him that blogging was my way of praying. You know I had not realized that. I send my thoughts out to the universe and the universe responds. If I am feeling down I put it out there and sometimes people who don't even read my blog (or know what a blog is) call and let me know that they care. It all helps.

So George, I know you will never read this but thanks for calling, Thanks for helping me remember that I am a person of worth and have a lot to be grateful for and for helping me to be a better person by sitting with me when I was a kid and talking to me. I love you too and today you were an answer to a prayer. (even if I hadn't thought of blogging as praying. Be loved. j

No comments: