Sunday, May 6, 2007

Sunday, May 6, 2007 - Wonderful Perfect Day





This afternoon was wonderful. I took off for Newton, Iowa to visit friends. Bob and Mary Kilfoil live in Newton. Bob is our senior Past Grand High Priest and Mary is his wonderful wife. Mary had some health problems and Bob has had to stay fairly close to home for the last couple of years. A couple of weeks ago I ran into him at the Scottish Rite building in Des Moines. We were both there for different meetings and just happened to bump into each other. I told him I was going to come down for a visit.

You know how it is sometimes you say that you will see someone and then life gets in the way and you don't get there. I made up my mind that this time I would get there. So, yesterday I called him up and invited myself down. I am so glad I went. Aside from the beautiful drive down (see pictures above) with newly plowed fields and in some cases sprouts coming up a lace of green on the trees and cattle grazing in the pasture. Refreshing and rejuvenating.

Mary was so glad to see me I swear I got the biggest hug of my life. Bob and I did most of the talking. His session was the first I attended as an officer of Joshua Chapter Royal Arch Masons. My friend Jerry Marsengill received two honors at that meeting. The Bronze medal from the General Grand Chapter and he was made a Fellow of the Philalethes Society at that meeting. I had no idea what kind of an honor it was to receive even one of those awards let alone two. We also got a free banquet. Bob said that he worked about four hours to get the Trustees to pay for our dinner. It was a great memory and we shared many many more. It was a great afternoon.

Then to make it even better I had dinner with my friend Elsie Uuland. Elsie and I have been on the Uniserv Unit Board for many many years. We ate at the Heartland Steakhouse and had a wonderful visit and meal. We not only served on the Board but we were also attended many NEA Representative Assemblies as delegates from our locals. We sat side by side at the Los Angeles Assembly and both of us fell sound asleep. From that time on we were accused of "sleeping" together. Over the years we have shared much and had a lot of fun. We both finish our terms next Wednesday so I suppose you could say we are going "out" together. Sorry Elsie.

The trip home was nice and when I got here I discovered that someone had stolen Max. I imagine that Jonathan has him out on a walk.

By the way the lady who lived next door seems to have moved. There is a big Trash thing in her driveway. She has probably gone to be nearer her family. I will miss her. If a family moves in with noisy kids I may move.

VINDICATION - HUGS

In today's USA Weekend there is an article bu Susan T. Lennon entitled "Hug your sweetie daily" She says "Hugging, sitting close to or holding hands with your loved one cna make you feel good. Ditto for snuggling with your baby." It seems that oxytocin is a hormone that turns on dopamine, a natural brain chemical that makes us feel rewarded." It also says that if you don't have a partner you can stroke a loved animal that also works. It reduces stress and blood pressure. So you see I was right when I wrote that yesterday. So today I got three big hugs from Mary, one from Bob and Bailey is due for some stroking when I finish this.

Stay Happy. HUGS, j

No comments: