Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

I had forgotten about
Dandelions, Dutchmen’s britches,
and daffodils
Dogtooth violets, May apples, tulips
and of course, lilacs.

Watching a film near the end of winter
I caught a glimpse of spring to come.

And now my soul sings as nature
Re-awakens from a long winter’s sleep
And brightens the world again.

Just for me!



I love May, I love the flowers that come up. The scented air. The colors and promise of summer and being able to open up the house and let fresh air in.

May Day is celebrated in the schools with baskets of goodies and at one time with May poles. World wide it is celebrated as a workers day. As a worker all my life I have to say that I really appreciate the National Education Association and the Iowa State Education Association and the Ames Education Association. I like what they have done for me and continue to do for me.

I am about to finish up many years of service on the Uniserv unit Board I will be leaving on May 9. It was time for someone else to step up and take over. The Uniserv Unit is the arm of the Education Association that delivers the service to the local association and also works to protect the teachers from unfair administrators.
Actually most administrators aren't unfair but I have known a few. My second principal at Linn-Mar schools was one such. I said I would have transferred out of that school after working for him if I had not already made plans to leave.

The Association has always been there for teachers. When I first started out teaching the salary was set by the district and nothing we could do would matter. The administration was in charge and they held all of the power. As a matter of fact they belonged to the Association and insisted that we join and for the most part they ran the organization.

That changed. Over the last 40 years collective bargaining came in and the teachers finally had a say at the table and it was not just about the money. It was also about working conditions. We were able to negotiate such things as a duty free lunch period. And beginning and ending times for the day (Although most of us arrived before the contract time and left after when we finished (and took work home)). The Association had their expert at the table for all negotiations and ours (Stan Burke) is especially good.

When we needed help with the way we were treated by some of the administrators the Association was there to help us file a grievance to negotiate the conditions under which we worked. I am very grateful for what they have done for me and as I said yesterday I am still getting the discounts they have offered.

I am a past secretary of the Linn-Mar Education Association when I worked there. I was active in the Ames Education Association serving as a representative for many years and as president. I was also president of the Uniserv Unit. I was a delegate to the Iowa State Education Association Delegate Assembly and the National Education Association Representative Assembly. I have met hundreds of teachers and people whom I would not have met if not for my participation in these organizations. I have enjoyed them and wish them well.

It may be of interest to note that one of the driving forces in organizing the Iowa State Education Association as well as all of the Masonic Bodies in Iowa was T. S. Parvin. You can read more about him at one of my earlier posts.

You can probably tell I didn't do much today. It was a beautiful day and the temperature was just wonderful. Be Happy! You deserve it! j

No comments: