Saturday, May 26, 2007

The Hoax/Going to Texas

I went to see The Hoax last night which is a movie about Clifford Irving starring Richard Gere. It was an exceptionally well-done movie and I enjoyed it tremendously. I had to go to Des Moines to see it at the Fluer Theaters. I am not sure how much longer it will be there. There were only three other people in the theater all evening.

I was not aware that this fictional biography of Howard Hughes had Richard Nixon so paranoid that he ordered the Watergate break-in because he feared that Hughes and Irving had shared some information about bribery and that led to his downfall. So, even though he was a criminal, I guess that will make Irving one of my heroes. The power of the pen!

I also ate at Chef's Kitchen on Beaver. Mike Hensley of the Big and Tall store where I get my clothes had recommended it to me and it has become one of my favorite places to eat. I have been there often enough that they know me there now. It is not expensive and I have never had anything bad there (except the Des Moines water). An added plus is the free chocolate chip cookies on the corner of the bar as you go out. Home made and delicious.

My on again/off again trip to Texas is back on. I had planned to go to HOUSTON for the United Grand Imperial Conclave of the Red Cross of Constantine meetings and was going to drive down with friends. They wanted to go early to go to San Antonio. Now I have been to San Antonio three times and I enjoyed it but when my computer crashed I didn't feel right about spending the money to go there. So, I canceled. Then I got to thinking that maybe I could spend time with Amy and Lee Bowers instead of going to San Antonio and they graciously allowed me to invite myself to stay while Glenn and Freddie go on to San Antonio. I will then get a shuttle flight to Houston and join them there for the meetings and the ride home. Things are working out and I am pleased.

Amy is my cousin Chris' daughter and I can remember coming home one night and telling Mom that we were going to McDonald's for supper and then loading her up and driving to Newton for supper so she could see the new baby (Amy) - That was when I lived more spontaneously. Everything did not have to be planned out in advance as it seems to be at this time.

Jonathan is moving in to take car of the animals so that will work out and best of all I will get to be with Amy and Lee for a few days. I can take my computer and still compute while they are at work. Jo tells me their house is "wired" - I imagine that means that they have an air port and you can compute anyplace in the housel Should be fun.

This afternoon I am going up to Jo's to see another cousin I have not seen for years. He is in town for Memorial Day and it will be fun to see him. I also had him as a student so I hope he doesn't bring up any horror stories about me as a teacher.
Stay Dry - Be Happy! Hugs! j

No comments: