Sunday, May 20, 2007

Sunday Rant

I just put the Sunday papers down. There was an article about the new TV season and what to expect for next fall. Frankly I am underwhelmed. There was only one show that looked even like it might have possibilities. It is based on a James Patterson Novel, The Women's Murder Club and I hope it is as good as the books.

The rest of the season is just same old, same old. Nothing inspires me, but then I should not be surprised. Hollywood and the Networks seem as out of touch with the rest of the country as Washington DC. I have written about this before. I don't like reality shows because they are not real and the crying grateful people, while I am glad for them to get help, it just seem to me like the program is taking advantage of them. Perhaps I am just an old cynic but they just don't turn me on. I do choke up when I read a real story about someone getting help or reunited. I just don't think it should be Television "entertainment" and yes, I have never liked Oprah.

I also don't like "Judge Judy" I was watching her show for awhile and decided that her ego was just too large and she was very rude to people. I think I started to dislike her when she put someone down for saying that they had called the police using another number than 911. She made fun of them and acted as if they were the dumbest people on the planet when they mentioned that. Well Judy, I have to tell you that I have the police non-emergency number programmed into my cell phone. I can dial 911 if there is a true emergency but otherwise I would prefer not to tie up the emergency line.

As long as I am griping about things...The talk shows, Letterman Leno, etc just seem like they are shills for the movie that is coming out or the book or the CD. Don't get me wrong, I watch Letterman and while I find his show formulaic I still enjoy parts of it. (It was on his show that I saw Candidate Bush reach over and clean his glasses on the producer's poncho as she was discussing something with Letterman. - Told me a lot about GWB) However, I miss the old Jack Parr and Dick Cavett shows when guests came on and there were entertaining discussions of topics of merit. Not just what show/movie/book they were in or had written that was coming out.

Another "shill" for shows are the columns in the front of Parade Magazine or the USA Today magazines that come with the Sunday Papers. They purport to be about answering questions about celebrities and what they are doing but in reality they either write their own questions or the people who are just opening a new movie will write in the lead in to a commercial and we are expected to believe that the question about what so and so is doing just "happened" to coincide with the new movie that they are opening on Friday. I mean, really.

I got the new Wilbur Smith Book "The Quest" and let me tell you I read the first 80 pages and I could not get enthused. The story doesn't "grab" me nor does it draw me in. So, I have put it aside and will be glad to give it to anyone who wants it. Just leave me a comment and I will see that you get it. (that is if you live in Ames or Des Moines) If not I will donate it to the Ames Public Library.

I am, however excited about Chris Hodep's book - Solomon's Builders - (See yesterday's post) I put the Quest down and started Chris's book and am on page 64. I find it readable and full of facts (proven) about the Masonic Fraternity. There are a lot of people out there who have misconceptions about the "Gentle Craft" and so far Chris describes George Washington's Initiation and dispels a lot of the myths about our fraternity. I highly recommend it. If you are not a member of Research Lodge you can join for $15.00 and you will get it and two other books right away. Another book "A Radical in the East" by S. Brent Morris is due out within the next two months. This is a re-print of his book which I helped with when RL#2 first published it. RL#2 membership is a real bargain.

Well that is enough for now. Have a good day. Hugs, j

No comments: