Friday, May 11, 2007

History




My family has been a part of Ames, Iowa for a long, long, time. My great grandfather John Cole came to Ames with his family in the Mid 1800's. My grandmother's family came at about the same time. Over the years I inherited a lot of pictures from the family. Several years ago I decided that it was not good for them to be sitting around in the basement so I contacted my friend and classmate, Dennis Wendell, to see about giving them to the Ames Historical Society. Since his retirement Dennis has been devoting himself to the Society and its work. Needless to say he was delighted to receive the collection. Some of the members of my family were not so delighted that I gave away the civil war tintype of John Cole to the Society. I really don't care. They all belong there and they will be cherished and preserved and can be visited by the family at any time.

Today I gave them the table and chairs pictured above. Actually I gave them to them a long time ago but have been storing them here until they could move to a larger space. They have finally moved and so Dennis and his co-worker came to pick them up today. The table is described as an Empire Game Table. I remember when my grandmother got the table and I watched my grandfather refinish it when we lived out north of town in the late 50's It came out of Professor A. H. Fuller's house on the South-east corner of 8th and Douglas. Pasted inside the table (which opens up so you can play cards on it) is a strip of paper which says "Purchased second hand in Philadelphia in 1849. Pretty neat.

The chairs belonged to "Aunt Sadie Smith" for whom my grandmother was named. I don't know much about her but she was Mrs. George Underwood's (my great grandmother) sister. At least I think so.

I am glad they will be at the Historical Society. I hope the people of Ames will enjoy seeing them. I have enjoyed owning them but they belong there and it gives me a great deal of pleasure to share them in this manner. (Of course if it turns out that they are worth many thousands of dollars I will cry - not really)

So- go visit the Historical Society in its new location and think about making a contribution.

Also don't forget to scroll down and add your line to the Gray Hair Poem. Be Happy.

No comments: