Wednesday, May 23, 2007

A Trip down Memory Lane - The Royal Arch


Yesterday I went to Cedar Rapids. I had to take the Lodge in a Box back over (It worked swell for the Degree Monday.) and had been asked to do a part in the Royal Arch Degree.

The Degree was held in the Lodge Room where I had been initiated into Freemasonry 41 years ago. In 1965-66 I began my teaching career at Linn-Mar schools in Marion, Iowa. My principal, Rickard Benz, had a Masonic Ring on his finger. I mentioned it and he asked me if I was interested in the Masons. I told him that my mother had told me that I might enjoy the Masons.

Now to be honest I did not know much about the Fraternity. I grew up without a father (and he wasn't a Mason anyway) and no one close to me ever talked about it. My mother had joined Eastern Star and put on a white dress every month to go out to a meeting. She was eligible after her father had rejoined the Masons.

Anyway, that began a journey for me that has been as satisfying to me as my profession. I joined Dick's Lodge (Trojan Lodge #548, Marion, Iowa E.A - March 17, 1966 F.C – April 7, 1966 M.M. – April 20, 1966 ) and while I was a member there I was never what you would call an active member. It was not until I moved back to Ames and got involved with Arcadia Lodge #249 that I became active.

However, the Lodge I was raised in has always had a special place in my heart and I love going back to the building for a visit. The Last time I had been in the building (and climbed all those steps) was when I had gone over for Kyle Martin's Third Degree. Kyle had been state Master Counselor for Iowa DeMolay and had helped start the DeMolay Chapter here in Ames.

So it was fun to go there.

But the reason I went was to take a part in the Royal Arch Degree. In the Degree Solomon's Temple has been destroyed and the people taken to Babylon into captivity. Time has passed and they have been given permission to rebuild the Temple. Three Brothers from the Babylonian Captivity have come up to help "without the hope of fee or reward" to help in the noble and glorious undertaking. They undertake a journey, guided by the Principal Sojourner who has one of the longest parts in all of Freemasonry. (Last night it was masterfully done by Marion Reinhart) and he takes them across deserts, old collapsing bridges and rivers. They have to avoid warring tribesmen and all in all it is a practical reminder to the candidates of what it was like to travel in those days.

Once there they present themselves to the Grand Council and are soon put to work - clearing the rubbish of the old Temple. They make a wonderful discovery and find the long lost Master's Word which had been lost in the Third Degree.

To me this is the culmination of Freemasonry. The degree is a part of the York Rite of Freemasonry and has been associated with craft Masonry for a long time. The Grand Chapter of California has this statement on their web page "The Royal Arch Degrees was considered most important in the early years of Freemasonry and so dogmatic was the Mother Grand Lodge - from which all Speculative Masonry derives - that in 1813, when the two grand lodges in England united, a firm and solemn landmark was adopted and placed in the Articles of Union to guide Masons throughout the world forever on this matter: "Pure Ancient Freemasonry consists of but three degrees, viz., that of Entered Apprentice, Fellowcraft, and Master Mason, including the Supreme Order of the Holy Royal Arch."

So the degree is an important one and I am glad that I have been a part of it again. As I said in an earlier post Thanks Charlie for getting me involved again. I am loving it. Even if it was midnight when I got home last night. Have a great day Hugs and Be Happy. j

3 comments:

Larry said...

I loved that degree when I went through it and having someone I know taking part in it made it even better. I was just glad when we did it that Tanner didn't throw out his back.

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

And the Marion Stone was just as heavy.

Taner said...

That stone was getting heavier every second I was holding it :):):) Thanks to Jay, I think I really earned that degree.