Wednesday, May 9, 2007

A New Poem

I like hanging out with younger people,
It makes me feel young- I reflect myself in them.
Of course, when I look in a mirror I don’t know who that “old guy” is!
So I avoid looking there…Except when I shave or comb my hair.

Now that I am a sexagenarian I need all the help I can get.
(It is the first time in my life I have been sexy.)

The first two years in my sixties weren’t too bad.
Then things went to Hell (except of course there is no Hell)
And life wasn’t as fun as it once had been.

I faced my mortality. And it wasn’t pretty.
Almost being dead makes you appreciate living.
Thank God for doctors and others who helped me through
the worst time in my life. Things have improved!

Now I have decided to sign a new lease.
Retirement is great. I get to do what I want (most of the time)
I have a lot of friends who seem to like me and I, of course, like them.
I keep busy and active (but I don’t get to dance much)

I am connected to the wide world as never before
Thank you Al Gore!
I have different needs – less material.
I can give away things,
Knowing they will give others pleasure
is the greatest pleasure for me.

My dog loves me – the cat (my nephew’s) tolerates me
My friends care and I am beginning to care again
So I am content.

Jay Cole Simser
May 9, 2007

No comments: