Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Charlie Wilson's War


I have never been a fan of Tom Hanks. However, his performance as "good-time Charlie" Wilson in the movie Charlie Wilson's war went a long way to changing my mind. I really liked his performance.

The movie was directed by Mike Nichols and I generally like his movies.

Charlie Wilson was a (real) congressman who somehow or another took up the cause of Afghanistan and in a great measure was responsible for getting the Soviets out of that country. You can read a review here.

As I said I have not been a Tom Hanks fan but I had seen previews of this picture at the theater and I wanted to see the film. I was not disappointed,

There was a serious side to the movie but it was also a comedy and I laughed out loud several times during the course of the film. I felt that the weakest character in the film was Julia Roberts. Her character just did not cut it for me. I like her but I felt that she wasn't doing her best. That was too bad because I usually love her. Just not so much this time.

I would recommend seeing this film. Overall it was an enjoyable experience and it shows what one person can accomplish. Besides you just might miss a call from a politician who wants you to attend a fund-raising meeting. I will be so happy when January 4 finally gets here.

Not that I am going to be able to Caucus as we have a stated meeting that night and while the Master may be able to miss the meeting but the secretary shouldn't. Stay warm. Hugs, j

No comments: