Saturday, December 29, 2007

An End and A Beginning



The Roller Coaster is a fit picture to describe my year of 2007. I am not going to be sorry to see it pass.

There are a lot of things that happened this year which were good but there were others that just ripped my soul and it wasn't a good time. I found that there is truth in the statement "False friends are foes. Truth tatters those when understood." I thought someone was going to be a great friend to me and I invested a lot of energy into that person but then I found out that he wasn't really a friend. When I was lied to that was the end of it. I used to think that he wanted to be a friend but I have given up. I only go so far and then I am through. I guess that is the lowest point of the year. It makes me very sad but I have learned from it. But I am not going to dwell on that, nor give them (there are two) "rent in my head" I can move on.

I have filled three large notebooks with posts from Bailey's Buddy. (I printed them out) The other day I went through the postings (I have edited some of them to remove some unpleasant things- wouldn't it be nice if we could really do that.) to review the year. It was fun. The Blog has been a good thing for me. It has given me a creative outlet that I would not have had. I have been read in six of the seven continents. There are about 40 to 50 people or a few more who read it regularly. I actually feel connected to people all over the world because of it and some of them have contacted me and leave comments for me or e-mail me about things. Cathy from Massachusetts is the first one and we both are anxiously awaiting the return of Craig and David to our world.

When I first started writing this Blog I subtitled it "The most Boring Blog on the Internet." I then changed it to "A eclectic mix of the things which make up my life." I had that up for a long time until I discovered the error (duh) and changed it to "An" eclectic mix. I knew better I just don't always see all of my errors. Funny thing, no one mentioned it to me.

Over the year I have used it for tributes, rants, reviews of movies and books. I have also used it as a sort of a diary and as an outlet for my friends to publish their pictures. I put up some "guest" articles on the Blog. I am awaiting the next one on the Common Gavel (Are you listening Tom?)

I think the articles on Leadership are some of the best I have written because they came from a real conviction that something needs to be done. I also think I have written some pretty good articles on Masonry but that is my judgment and may not be yours. I also like some of my rants. It has been a great thing to do and I almost gave up on it (again because of one criticism of my blogging) but I decided that no one had a right to drive me from what I enjoyed and they didn't have to read it if they didn't want to.

I have explored my feelings, shared my joys and friendships, my accomplishments, my philosophy of education and my politics. There are some things I have not and will not share because, frankly they are none of your business.

I do three other blogs. One is where I publish my poetry. I lay claim to being the "trite poet laureate of Ames. There are one or two poems that I think are pretty good and one that was written during my "down" period that seems to be read a lot when people visit the Poetry Blog.

I also do one for the Des Moines Consistory and the Christian Science Church. The Consistory Blog is a sort of a diary and picture blog of what happens at the Consistory. I also try to attend most of the events and take pictures of the events and put them up. I like that because it makes me feel more of a part of the Consistory. Since no one ever asked me to participate in degree work or anything else down there I have been relatively inactive. This gives me something to do and I enjoy it.

I have to tell you that this was also the year that I made the decision to leave the Christian Science Church. About 4 years ago I developed diabetes. It was my own fault. I had not paid any attention to what I was eating or drinking for years. I drank orange juice and regular coke. No diet stuff for me. I got an infection in my leg and wound up in the hospital. When I went in I had a 600 blood sugar. I damn near died. I am still taking medication for this disease and I felt it would be hypocritical to claim to be a member of a Church which relies on Spiritual healing if I was using material medicine. No one from my local church told me I should leave but as long as I was taking pills I felt I needed to withdraw. I now tell people that I am "Spiritual" when asked what my religion is. Again it really isn't any one's business but I still believe in a lot of the philosophy of the Science church. I love the Eusebius prayer on the left side of the blog and I try to live by it. I fall way short, but I try.

I find that the Masonic Fraternity has become my real family. The emotional and spiritual support I get from the fraternity cannot be measured nor can a value be put on it. I have great friends in the Ames Lodge and a few good friends in the Des Moines Lodge also and they have proven the true meaning of brotherhood to me. My (Ames) Lodge is one of the best (if not the best) lodges in the state and I love being a part of it. With gas prices being what they are I am not going to be attending the Des Moines Lodge as often as I did this past year and the problems I am currently having make it painful for me to attend there. I have decided to pay my dues but do not know if I will continue after this next year. I mean why go where you don't seem to be wanted.

The real highlight of the year was the Jerry Marsengill dinner and working on that and helping. It made this the most meaningful Christmas I have ever spent. I did not go to my relatives for Christmas and I did not hear from any of them over the holidays. So I guess that I will make a new family. Last year they all went out of state for Christmas. This year I had spent around $300 on Christmas presents for them and then was told about 10 days before Christmas that we weren't exchanging gifts this year. I thought about giving them anyway but decided I would wait and see. Since it has become obvious that I am persona non gratis I will find elsewhere for the gifts to go. I would rather give than receive (although I was looking forward to a promised birthday present that was never received)

There have been a lot of positive things in my life this year. I miss my sister (who moved to Missouri) but we keep in touch and she reads my Blog. I know that she is where she wants to be. I do think that part of my emotional problems this year was trying to find someone to replace her presence in my life. I have gotten over that need. I have had a lot to do as Secretary of my Lodge and I enjoy that (although I am looking forward to a year from September when Jeremy takes over)

I have lost about 75 pounds. I was told by the doctor to lose weight and so I did. I feel better and I know that it is better for me. Perhaps I shall make my goal of another 75 to 100 pounds. although right now I am not working very hard on it. I bought an exercise bike and right now the only exercise I am getting from it is writing the checks to make the monthly payments. I will do better next year. Promise.

I am so grateful for so many things. I am not going to list them all but Jon, Ginny Bailey, Max, Cassie, Maryjane, good friends and brothers, the ability to stay active and involved with many things.

I am looking forward to a lot of things in 2008. I especially am excited about going to San Diego in June. As always I am looking forward to new Brothers joining the Lodge. I am excited about the revitalized York Rite and all of the Companions who have joined with us. It will be exciting to watch as the offers start rolling in for Jon to attend Graduate School and while I will miss him I know that he has his journey to make and I wish him well on it.

I am really looking forward to the election being over in November (Go Democrats!) and to the end of the endless - My name is __________and I approved this ad. I am hoping for continued good health and the end of winter. I will make no predictions or resolutions for the new year. I am going to lay back in the water and allow it to support me and hopefully, I will float to the surface.

I wish for my friends the very best for this next year - and even for those who have shown that I am not their friend (although I wanted to be) I wish even for you a wonderful year. I hope that you attain your goals. I don't know what they are nor will I ever bother you again but I do wish you and yours the very best.

So I wish you Happy New Year and invite you to join Jiminy and me as we travel through 2008.




God bless. Remember you are loved. Hugs, Let's get started - j

4 comments:

ssbaker said...

Jay
I'm really glad that you are getting past your problems with the people from DSM and realized that the Bothers from Ames do care and like when you around we need people like you to help us younger guys out on our masonic journey
ssbaker

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

Thanks David, Just two people. There are some really great guys down there also. They are what make it possible for me to stay there. I just wish I understood the others.

Dianne said...

That's a lovely post J - and the roller coaster fits it well. I'm so glad I found your blog, it often inspires my day - Cathy from Mass (I can't spell it out) brought us together - she is so good at that.

I look forward to sharing 2008 with you. It will be interesting.

All my best from my heart of hearts

Anonymous said...

beautiful post, jay.
sweet and true!
jiminy cricket is so appropriate because you are like true north and would make a very fine conscience. isn't the internet a wonderful thing for bringing hearts and minds together? i feel like most of my real family lives in my computer now!

hugs!
cathy