Saturday, December 1, 2007

December


December is here. It begins in the sign of Sagittarius. It has 31 days. It is the darkest month. We are starting out the month here in Iowa with a winter storm. Delicious. Things have been canceled and we get a day to hunker down and relax. That is unless your dog (like mine) has just discovered a stuffed animal atop the bam bam clock that he wants and starts to try to climb up to get it and to whine. It is such a joy to live with animals. Bailey is obsessive when he wants something and will fuss about it all day. Anyway he can't have it. It is a stuffed beanie bear lion and he would destroy it. Ain't no way.

I gave most of my (toy) lions away to the baby son of a brother Mason. I am keeping the ones I have left. December is the twelfth month in the Gregorian Calendar. It is called DECEmber (decimal = 10) because it was the tenth month in the Roman Calendar. It marks the end of the calendar year. Thus it is a time for reflection. People write Christmas letters in December and send them out to catch people up (bore) them on all of their activities of the year.

About the most interesting site I found when I googled December was this one Bizarre December Holidays. It turns out that every day in December is a holiday and they don't even mention Christmas. My favorite is December 30 is . . . . Festival Of Enormous Changes At The Last Minute and National Bicarbonate Of Soda Day. I don't know if you are supposed to take it or stock up on it so you will be ready for January 1.

Bailey has stopped obsessing (for the moment) and is washing my knee. Time to read the paper and sip some more coffee. Happy December. Stay warm and safe today. Hugs, j

No comments: