Sunday, December 23, 2007

Relaxing Day

From the Urban Dictionary
Today is Christmas Adam

The day before Christmas Eve. Since Adam was created before Eve, and the need to be equitable in the holiday season, Christmas Adam creates further anticipation of Christmas Day.

When is your family coming to our place?
On Christmas Adam and leaving New Year's Day.

Christmas Adam is the last chance to prepare for the Christmas Eve party.

I had a very relaxing day. I am reading a good book so I got some of that read. It is called Dust by Martha Grimes. I had coffee with my friend Dallas and filled her in on all my doings (as she does not read my blog.) I read my blogs on Google Reader and found a couple of new ones to read and enjoyed them. Pickles (cat) was glad to see me when I went out to feed her. I got the vacuum run and opened a very nice bottle of wine to have a glass with supper.

On the down side I stepped on a dog turd and had to clean that off my foot and the carpet. No fun Bailey. While I was outside Burgies after coffee with Dallas my hat blew off and I had to go chase it. It is cold. Pickles was more interested in her food than she was in me. There was a train blocking all three intersections and I had to go the the underpass to get south. It is so much fun to live in a "train" city. I had a "sad" attack thinking about people who don't like me. (I'll get over it. But I do miss them.)

Did I mention that last night I finally got to watch the last two episodes of Rome. It was a series on HBO and I have enjoyed both seasons without subscribing to HBO. Speaking of HBO and Showtime. I used to subscribe to them but the "stuff" they put out was just not appealing to me and I decided not to subscribe. I don't generally miss them but once in awhile there is something that I want to watch. I sometimes stay in a motel which has HBO and I look at the offering. There isn't much there I want to see.

Speaking of "stuff" I use that word a lot. I use it to describe the things that pile up in my office and around my chair, I use it to talk about the "stuff" that bounces around in my head and I use it to describe the things that "happen" as in "stuff" happens. I think everyone has certain words or phrases which they use frequently and without thinking.

I was not aware of George Carlin's "stuff" schtick until I read the comment. So I went and found it. You can read it here. Or you can watch it here. Thanks, Dianne. Big Hug for pointing it out to me. I love it.


I am not sure what I am going to do on Christmas. I may just stay home. Doug and I were talking about going down to Des Moines to help out with the Jerry Marsengill dinner. Jerry started these dinners and for years the Masons in Des Moines have a Christmas dinner for folks who are going to be alone or who are homeless. It is free and they will even come and pick you up and take you to the dinner. It is a great tradition.

Jerry once said to me that he wished he had done something to help humanity rather than putting so much time and effort into Masonry. It was one of those introspective moments that we all have when "stuff" starts floating around in our heads and we look back on our lives. Jerry actually did a lot. He mentored a lot of us and gave us someone to admire and look up to. He helped a lot of people and if he did nothing else getting this dinner going is worthy of several "stars" in his crown. Mom and I both liked him and I miss him yet today. I am glad I knew him. He was a true friend.

The "boys" are barking so that means Jon is here. They both go nuts when he comes. I am going to sign off and have a visit with him. Hugs, j

2 comments:

Dianne said...

Made me think of George Carlin's routine about "stuff" - a comedy classic.

The Marsengill dinner sounds lovely so if you're asking me (and of course you're not LOL) I say go.

Whatever you do enjoy.

Merry Christmas Jay.

Dianne said...

Big Hug right back at you for finding and posting the link to that "stuff" - I bookmarked it with the rest of my "stuff"

Priceless!