Tuesday, December 25, 2007

A Christmas Memory

Truman Capote wrote a short story entitled A Christmas Memory. It has become a classic. I used to read it to my students each year and it never failed to bring a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye.

Today I made my own Christmas Memory. I have been meaning to go down to help out with this endeavour for several years and I never got around to it. Doug and I were talking about going down at Lodge the other night and we decided to go.

This noble undertaking is fostered and sustained by Central Iowa Masons through monetary contributions and many hours of donated labor.

The Annual Christmas Dinners are dedicated to Jerry Marsengill who started this tradition several years ago. Jerry Marsengill, a noted local Mason and Masonic scholar, died in 1991 and the Masons of Central Iowa plan to continue this Christmas dinner in his honor. The annual dinners aim is to provide the homeless and lonely of Des Moines a traditional Christmas dinner will all the trimmings, turkey, ham, pumpkin pie, etc. Christmas is also provided. However it is not just for the homeless or lonely. Many Masons come to work for while and eat. This is the 23rd year for the dinners.

Jerry was the Grand High Priest just prior to my year and he and I had many conversations. I looked up to him and am proud that he was a friend. (But I have said that before) These dinners are a part of his legacy which live on beyond him and show the true measure of his heart. He did not start them because of any honor or desire to have a dinner named after him. He started them because it was a nice thing to do and deep down Jerry Marsengill was a nice person who wanted to do something for others. I know that he could tell a joke (sometimes a risque one) better than anyone else and that some people did not like him. They did not know him. He was a true Mason in my estimation.

The workers had the place all set up to receive as many people who would walk through the door and they also had things set up to deliver meals to folks who called in. I was a dispatch person and I helped assign the drivers to pick up people or deliver the meals. Doug helped deliver the meals.










They started preparing the food yesterday and had an assembly line set up to serve the meals or prepare the take-out dinners.















Masons come from all over to help. This is Max Butler. His son will be our next Grand Master.
















The Media was there. A Young man from the Des Moines Register and KCCI TV. It will be on the news tonight and in the paper tomorrow. (They were there quite a while for about 30 seconds of time on the TV tonight)

Here is the link to the Des Moines Register article about the event.  Click here.







Even "Santa" was there - Taking time off from home invasions and scaring little kiddies while stealing milk and cookies from them.

He actually seemed like a nice person. I may have to revise my opinion of him.






Anyway it was a wonderful experience. One that filled up my heart and I am so glad that I went. I can't wait to go again next year. The driving force behind the dinners and the ones who organize it are pictured below.
If you click on their picture or here you can see the rest of the pictures which I took today. They are also posted on the Consistory Blog.

Anyway it was the best Christmas which I have spent in many a year. I didn't get many gifts (don't need em) but I got good feelings to fill up my heart and for that I will thank my friend and Brother Jerry who started the whole thing. My only regret is that I did not get started sooner. Hugs and Happy Christmas. I hope yours was as fine as mine. j

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that Jerry's Christmas meal is yet alive and kicking. Bravo to you who have made it so!
About 150 people were fed at the Dubuque Masonic Temple on Sunday, 23 December. There were carry-out and sit-down meals which were free and open to anyone needing a good meal. The Dbq Labor Council and the United Way supplied most of the food.
Helping others is contagious.
Gpa Don

Dianne said...

I'm so glad you decided to go. Clearly you had a wonderful time at a great event. Makes me smile.