Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Bill Peake's Clocks

Friend and Right Worshipful Brother Bill Peake who is serving as Grand Chaplain for the Grand Lodge this year has an obsession... at least one. We were conversing on Facebook yesterday - We both got our hairscut. I mentioned his clocks which he has been showing us on his Facebook account and he sent me this note about his clock collection and how he got into them. He gave me permission to share.
I started getting interested in clocks when I had a regulator clock at my church which everyone thought they had to wind...as a result it never worked and a buddy who repaired clocks came over and showed me the ins and outs. It peaked my curiosity and last spring I asked him to take me on as an apprentice. We've never really worked together heavily on the clocks but he guided me in tool purchase and some basic elements of clock repair. He even gave me my first clock to work on.

Then the fever bit me. So far I've donated a mantle clock for a fund raiser at Estherville York Rite, donated one as a memorial, gave a small cuckoo away to a child this Christmas whose mom is in jail. One son took one home at Christmas....I have 3 on the way here - 2 cuckoos and a mantle clock. I have sold one old calendar regulator and purchased another one to replace it. And I have two other mantles needing some repair that I have not gotten to yet! All this while serving as Gr. Chap, Master of my lodge and pastor of my church as well as part time husband and dad! HA! Glutton for punishment. I have the clocks placed strategically between my church office, my home and my bedroom. Add to this that my wife hates chimes because she can't go back to sleep if she gets up in the night and hears them. Well, my life has rarely been uncomplicated...which is why I enjoy the clocks...there is just something so orderly and dependable about their mechanics and the constancy of the 'tick-tock'! I find it very relaxing and comforting. Here are some pix of my clocks.

1st Sold Diane Matson
Beveled Glass Mantle
Full Barwick
Kassel Mantle Donated to York Rite.
My Big Cuckoo
Vintage Hamilton Mantle Clock

No comments: