Saturday, December 4, 2010

Love and Other Drugs

I went to the movie this afternoon. - Love and Other Drugs is a good film.  It is well acted and enjoyable.  From the IMBD Data Base


Maggie (Hathaway) is an alluring free spirit who won't let anyone - or anything - tie her down. But she meets her match in Jamie (Gyllenhaal), whose relentless and nearly infallible charm serve him well with the ladies and in the cutthroat world of pharmaceutical sales. Maggie and Jamie's evolving relationship takes them both by surprise, as they find themselves under the influence of the ultimate drug: love


Anne Hathaway and Jake Gyllenhaal make up most of the movie which is a hartwarmer about the power of love to change even a hard hearted cynical pharmaceutical representative.  So I guess it is about the redemptive power of love.  The movie was recommended by a friend on Facebook and he mentioned that it made him cry at the end.  Actually it got to me a couple of times.  And I forgot to take the Kleenex. But it was a good cry.  The movie is rated R for nudity and I will admit there is a lot of "bed" time in the film.


One person who had a very minor part in the film was George Segal  I had forgotten how much I enjoyed him from his earlier movies.  I was glad to see that he was still around and aging nicely.


Now to mention the movie going experience itself. I arrived at the theater about 5 minutes before the show was supposed to start.  For one thing you miss the "First Look" set of commercials that the Theater insists on playing.  You can still see the previews and that is always fine with me as I enjoy anticipation.  Imagine my surprise when I got inside and saw the long line of people waiting to purchase tickets.  Harry Potter you know.  The line ran from the ticket spot on the counter to the door.  And there was another one at the one spot where they were selling pop corn.  I had not had lunch and the pop corn was to be my lunch.  I did not relish standing in two lines when it was so close to starting time.  So I purchased my ticket at the Credit Card Kiosk and avoided one line. Took my coat in (no ticket taker) and claimed a seat and then went out to get pop corn and a diet cola.


I got in the line and waited.  There were only two people selling the corn and drinks and they were efficient but not as fast as I would have liked.  Anyway I got my corn and drink (damn expensive) and went up the ramp to reclaim my seat. This time there was someone there to take my ticket,  which was in my pants pocket and both hands were full.  Why this person was not there before when there was a long line of people coming in I do not know but I had to stop and produce the ticket.  The guy ahead of me in the pop corn line and I were discussing how much easier it is to go into some of the other theaters in places like Ankeny and Des Moines.  They seem to have enough help but never at the Ames Theaters.  I guess that is my gripe for the day.


But all in all it was a very relaxing and enjoyable afternoon and I did not have to take minutes.  When I came home and finished my book and started a new one.  What more could I ask?


Thanks for listening,  Hugs, j

3 comments:

kenju said...

I want to see that movie and if you liked it - I will go.

You should read my post tonight; I ran into some Masons this morning - the Knights of St. Andrew.

Ur-spo said...

That sounds like a most pleasant day at the movies, indeed.

Elgart said...

I'm a big Anne Hathaway fan. In this movie, you get to see plenty of her skin.