Friday, December 31, 2010

Janus


Janus was the Roman God for which the month of January is named.  He had two heads one to look forward and the other to look back.  This time of year there is a lot of that going on.  As 2010 draws to a close I want to wish all my blog friends the very best for a Happy New Year.

I really do not want to look back on 2010. It will not be one of my favorite years.  I am doing my very best not to dwell on some things and so I am just going to look forward to 2011.  Some of the things in store for me is the new Iowa Academy of Masonic Knowledge that we are working on to establish a new program for Iowa Masons.

I am also looking forward to not being Secretary of the Lodge anymore.  Some people think that once you are Secretary you should remain in that position forever.  After due consideration I decided that I was not enjoying Masonry as much as I wanted to and as the result of some things I won't go into I decided that "Better an handful with quietness than both hands full with travail and vexation of spirit." and because of a change of venue for the Lodge meetings which would require a significan number of steps for me to navigate and my knees just don't take it anymore it was time to give up the job. Unfortunately that made some people angry with me and I don't do that well so I start the year off with two less friends. I think that is about enough of that  - dwelling on the past.. I always prefer to live in the future and look forward to new things.  As for the old.. it is just that old and best forgotten. The painful parts anyway. I hope to make some new friends.  There are about 6 Billion people to choose from.

I am not looking forward to making a decision about Bailey.  He has gotten old.  He does not control himself as he should.  He bumps into things and cannot see or smell things like he used to.  His back legs don't always work as they should and he trips over anything that is in his way. (which he did not see)  He is 15 years old and other than the above he isn't in any pain.  But I know I may not have him this time next year and the tears come every time I consider it.  But that is part of being a companion to an animal.  As long as he can I will care for and love him and when the time comes he will go without suffering.  As Ginny says that is the "last thing we can do for our pets." I will miss him.

I am looking forward to a trip out west this summer to Boise, Idaho. I have never been to Idaho so that will be fun to add that to my list of places visited.  I have a blog friend from there and hope to meet him while there.  I am driving out so I got new tires on the Jeep.  My Jeep has about 147,000 miles on it.  I got 19 miles to the gallon on my trip back from Cedar Rapids this week.  With gas prices going up I may regret driving but I truly hate flying with my leg and brace and I do love to see America.  Can't wait to drive across Nebraska..... (NOT)  

I am also looking forward to taking more pictures, sharing them here with you and keeping in touch on Facebook.  Thanks for coming by to share some moments in my life. I am going to make a crock pot of soup tonight so it will be ready for the New Year.  Be gentle with one another.  Cherish your friends and thanks for stopping by. Hugs.






4 comments:

Raven said...

Sorry to hear that time is taking its toll on Bailey. When his time comes, I hope it is sweet and easy. If you let me know, I will be glad to send reiki to ease the process.

Hard when those who are friends don't want to honor us taking care of our own good. You will surely make new friends. I do think sometimes even relationships have expiration dates - or sometimes friends just need a vacation from each other.

Your trip west sounds good to me. I am sorry I have become such a bad blogger, but you are in my thoughts even when I don't show it.

May you hold the sweetest memories of the year passing and may the new one bring more joy than sorrow. Happy New Year.

Raven said...

Wordy as my comment was, I still forgot to say that I like your new look (which may not be new at all). Very easy on the eyes.

Ur-spo said...

I hope 2011 holds some good things for you.

Anna said...

I went to Idaho in 2009 and it was beautiful. I hope you take the opportunity to visit Yellowstone while you are near; you will not regret it.

Happy New Year to you and I hope that this year is kind to you and yours.