Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A few Moments in Paradise

The evening started out when I drove over west of Boone to my friend's home on the River. I got there early and was sitting in the car listening to The Alchemist and all of a sudden I saw a bird on the tree in front of me. I got my camera out and took this close up of the Red headed woodpecker. the picture below is the tree without the close up zoom. I feel really lucky that I was able to get this picture.

Because Terry and Mark had not arrived I took advantage of the beautiful spot to take some out door pictures. This is Terry's farm home. It has been in his family for 40 years or more the old place burned down so Terry and his sister built a new home on this beautiful spot on the Des Moines river. I heard both geese and ducks while I waited. It was calming and peaceful and puts life back in perspective. They are lucky to have it.
This is a view out the front.
Another - The barn on the left is where the chickens and piglets live.
They will get good bacon from these and the chickens will be tasty also. I believe the piglets are named Rush Limbaugh and Glen Beck. Guess which party the guys belong to.
When we got there the power was out and I was a little worried about the heat lamp for the chickens but it soon came back on.
This is the fire place in the great room.
Another view out the front.
This is out the back looking towards the river.
In the small TV room they have a really neat coffee table . A bear on its back holding up a glass top. Everything fits together in this place of paradise.
This is the view out the front from the small TV room.
This is a unique Jo-Meyers Walker piano. Mark played a little for me. It sounded nice as well as being a work of art.

This shows the steps up and the kitchen. You can see how light and airy the place is.


This was taken from the dining room window. Can you imagine sitting and looking at this view as you eat your supper?
Terry (above) - Mark (below)
Terry and Mark have been together for 32 years. They were married the week-end that the ruling first came down and I was at their wedding. I have known them for years and count them as very special friends. Next week they will be able to file their wedding certificate. I am so proud to live in Iowa where everyone's rights have been affirmed by our courts acting in the capacity for which they were created. To protect us from those who would walk all over and destroy people. I read on the internet that my friend Matt McCoy, openly gay legislator, has had a death threat against him. I am not surprised. These people seem to need to hate. It is a sad commentary on a religion that is supposed to be founded on love.
But you know that does not diminish the religion. Just those who practice it. I am profoundly grateful for these friends. Just as I am for my other friends. And you know my life is enriched by all of them. Thanks for stopping by. ARTYAL, Hugs, j
When I left to come home as I drove there was a fire in the distance. I took a couple of pictures of it and I think they came out pretty well. I think there was a fire truck.

2 comments:

Nessa said...

What an incredible place. The piano is amazing. You Iowaians(?) are very forward thinkers - and actors or actioners oe something.

Anonymous said...

Cool that the piglets are named Rush and Glenn. That way they won't feel guilty about eating them. =)