Wednesday, April 22, 2009

More Pictures from Bob

Bob writes:
Star Magnolias are STARS
The Star Magnolia in my front yard put on a lovely spring show this year, just in time for VEISHA. It was a retirement gift to me from my last sixth class and each year when it blooms I think of them and all the other students I have known. It only lasts about 3-5 days, but they are beautiful days!



The Dutchmen are here!

The Dutchman's Breeches are here! They are small and delightfully detailed, resembling a pair of Dutchan's trousers (Breeches) hanging upside down! I have found them in shades of pink, pale blue or white. These were found at Inez Grove Park in Ames, but they could be found in many central Iowa woodlands this time of year.




The Bloodroot wild flower is quite large compared to the others. This one measured about two inches across. The juice in their stems is red, thus the name Bloodroot. It and the roots were used by Native Americans to paint their faces....so the legend goes!

No comments: