Saturday, April 4, 2009

Still here

So last evening I went down to practice and we did not have enough show up to make it worthwhile so Charlie B, Tim, Kurt, The Prince and Princess and I went to Noah's Ark for supper and conversation and had a glorious time. Much better than practicing. I was looking around the table and I realized that three of my closest friends were there. I have others and some of them aren't even Masonic.

I overheard someone tell another person that "Masonry was my life" the other day as he handed the phone to her. I hate to tell you guy but there is a hell of a lot more to my life than Masonry. I have friends, I go to plays,movies, and other cultural events.I read books. I meet some friends for coffee (and chocolate), I take pictures. I do blogs (several of them) - I do a lot with Masonry because I enjoy it and I am making a contribution to Masonry and Masonic Orders and that is fine but to say that Masonry is my life means that you don't know me very well at all - even though we went to grade school together (and that was a hell of a long time ago) Yes I do attend a lot of Masonic and Masonic related events but as with any gemstone (and I am an emerald) I have many facets.

When you call me up at almost 5:00 PM on stated meeting night naturally I am not going to have much time to talk as I am still putting things together for the meeting. Being Secretary of the Lodge is a commitment and it takes time (sometimes I think I need to be committed for taking it on) but I am retired after 38 years of teaching. I suppose you might have been able to say that teaching was my life because I put so much effort into it but even then I did many of the things listed above. So you pissed me off with your comment. I doubt that you will ever read this and if you do, perhaps you will think before you talk. In the meantime - "putter around your dusty archives"

Well that is off my chest. I was going to go to Sioux City (yes for a Masonic Meeting) but the weather has promised to be crummy up there today and down here tomorrow. This is Iowa after all and winter likes to hang on. We could get 5 to 6 inches - or nothing.

This picture is from Dom Caristi's Blog (link on the left) - As I have said before he is in Greece and he is doing a super job of posting pictures. In 1976 I stopped in Greece on my way home from Egypt. I am so very glad I did. It is a beautiful country and dotted with places like this. It is worth going over to look at his blog.

Dom likes humor so in his honor I will close this post with a joke someone sent me. I can certainly relate.


A woman calls her boss one morning and tells him that she is staying home because she is not feeling well.
"What's the matter?" he asks
"I have a case of anal glaucoma," she says in a weak voice.
"What the hell is anal glaucoma?" "I can't see my ass coming into work today . "

It reminds me of the disease we used to get in my family. It was called rectitus. And it was when your optic and rectal nerves got crossed and it gave you a shitty outlook on life.

Thanks for stopping by, ARTYAL. Going to the grocery store and may finish my book. I have taken forever to get through it because it just gets me angry everytime I read a few pages and I have to put it away. It is called "Family of Secrets" It is worth the read.

2 comments:

Kurt said...

Great picture!

As you already know, I think that people that define themselves by one aspect of their life makes them shallow.

I'm glad you finished that crappy book you were reading. Now, put the CDs I gave you into your player, sit back with some 14 Hands Reisling, and listen to a good story that makes you think.

Nessa said...

I am going to use that excuse to stay home from work.