Monday, April 13, 2009

Monday Mash Pit


Well here it is. The Obama's new dog. Personally I think that Bailey and Max and Loren's new dog Sawyer are just as cute but you know, it is not up to me and I am so glad the girls have a puppy. I don't really care about the Water Cooler Poll results. Their dog does not have to please anyone but them and if the girls are happy then we should be happy for them and congratulate them.

I hope the girls will have the responsibility of taking care of the puppy and its needs. I learn so much from Bailey and Max and they will also. For those interested in the poll results they are below. But who really cares.

You know we "fuss" about the darnedest things. I really don't care if Mrs. Obama put her hand on the Queen of Great Britain It was around her shoulder for heavens sake. I really think the Queen's hand (gloved) was in a more inappropriate place but she is short.


The next picture is making the rounds on the Internet. It is a statue made out of Legos.

Nice statue of Jesus.

Speaking of Jesus. Fred Anderson has a post over at the Rev's Rumbles. It has links to an interview with Bart Ehrman which is very interesting.

Bible scholar Bart D. Ehrmanreveals what critical Biblical scholars have unearthed:
  • The authors of the New Testament have diverging views about who Jesus was and how salvation works
  • The New Testament contains books that were forged in the names of the apostles by Christian writers who lived decades later
  • Jesus, Paul, Matthew, and John all represented fundamentally different religions
  • Established Christian doctrines—such as the suffering messiah, the divinity of Jesus, and the trinity—were the inventions of still later theologians
I found it very interesting so if you have about 50 minutes I recommend that you go and listen.

Christianity today does not seem to me to be anything like it was when Jesus was still with us physically. I am not sure he would be a "Christian" and I am totally sure that he would not be an Evangelical attending the Saddleback Church.

The comments on his blog are interesting. There is one person who puts the ideas in this book down because they were written 2000 years after the fact. Well the point is that there was a lot more written 40 - 60 years after the events than we are aware of. Not just Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and the rest of the New Testament. The "church fathers" threw those writings out while retaining those four even though they contradict each other. That person Stushie is a pastor of a church and you would think that he was more of a scholar than the rest of us. But he accepts the Bible on "faith" - Faith is all well and good. I have faith, I have faith in a God of Love not of hate and yet I do not believe that the Bible is the inerrant word of that God. The Bible is a collection of books written by MEN.. sometimes beautiful, and inspiring but also sometimes contradictory and never totally inerrant. But I will probably get in trouble for this.

I still believe that there are "many paths to the top of the mountain but the view is always the same." You and I may not be on the same path but we will eventually get to the same place. And if you don't want to believe that it's OK. Just believe what you want and leave me alone to let me believe what I want. And leave me alone please.

I was elected Secretary of the new Iowa College SRICF Saturday so this week-end I have been dealing with that. Tomorrow I have to do the Secretary things for Arcadia Lodge. It seems as if there is always something. I guess somebody has to do it. I won't be doing any more ritual work. It was made plain to me this week-end that my work is not appreciated so I have decided to not do any more. I had worked very hard to re-learn something I had not done for 30 years last fall and was told Saturday that the High Priest did not want me to do it in the next Festival. So I will find something else to do. I am sure there is a movie on I can go to. I know when I am not wanted. It may take me a while to figure it out but once I get the message, I get the message.
By the way, I did a pretty good job with the part. I just think he doesn't like me. At least I am appreciated when I do things at the Scottish Rite.

My friend Kurt and his kids all seem to have picked up a spring cold. They are feeling lousy so if you could send them some good healing thoughts it would be nice. Kurt loaned me the audio book The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho I am listening to it when I drive in the car and it is so good and inspiring that I want to get in the car and just drive and listen to it. I am going to try and find the book.

Jon came over after work and changed the Kitty Litter. That is what he does. Cassie is grateful. It had been way too long. She just climbed up on my lap and kneaded me and is now sitting here purring. Sorry folks. She needs me more than you do. Thanks for stopping by - Isle of View. j

3 comments:

John said...

Hey, Bro. Jay!

1. Portuguese Water Dogs are WONDERFUL critters, and if "Bo" is true to breed temperament, he will be an ideal dog for our First Family. Next time there's a dog show on, go and meet the breed.

2. You really need to read a book or two of Bart Ehrman's impressive bibliography. He's one of the best scholars of the history of the first five centuries of the common era, and he writes like a novelist. I've devoured two or three of his books, and need to read more. One of his primary themes is the difference between the actual historical record and the "received wisdom" of the early Christian tradition. A VERY interesting and engaging scholar, he...

3. Kurt sounded TERRIBLE on Saturday. He needs to lay low for a while and get over his malaise!

DonM said...

We had two dogs at our house over Easter--our own adult Rottweiler and a 16 week old German Shephard mix. When last these two were together, Dyna was only 10 weeks, so we were pretty cautious. But this time, she was big enough to compete a little better. While she got smoked in the straight line running, she was definitely quicker in the corners, since there was a lot less mass involved. She exhibited no fear, and actually tried to dominate Beowulf.

That went pretty well for most of Saturday, but by Saturday night it became obvious that he was tiring of the novelty of having a puppy in the house. This was made a little worse by her ignoring proper dog etiquette, and submitting when rolled on her back. She behaved more like a cat, rolling on her back and pawing him. Finally he just sat on her. That was actually pretty funny for everyone but her.

Then Sunday she decided that she needed to rear up and put her feet on his shoulders. He actually srtarted growling at her a bit, and being a puppy, she didn't take the hint. We finally just separated them for most of the rest of the day.

The best part was, all the exercise exhausted both of them. By that time, as long as they were apart, they were both happy to just crash on the floor. Beowulf finally recovered last night.

Stushie said...

Nice post. So here's the question:

When Jesus says, "I am the Way, the truth, and the Life. No one comes to God except through Me" is He telling the truth or lying? You can't have it both ways.

As for being a scholar - I am, but I would rather be a follower of Christ first and foremost.

God bless you.