Sunday, April 26, 2009

Rainy Day/Week-end Update

Craig and I went to Des Moines for a practice tonight. it was not a great practice because not enough people showed up. So we just got to talk about things instead. Then Kurt and Craig and I went to the Royal Mile so Kurt and I could eat and we talked some more. It has been a crummy rainy week-end but at least the trees and the flowers and the green are returning.
The trees in Des Moines are a little further along than they are in Ames but it is nice to have warm weather bursting the buds. I will get some more pictures this week I hope.
The clouds and the rain on the way home were awesome. We were under a tornado watch and also a flash flood watch (so that is Iowa in the Spring) but nothing came of it. There was a York Rite Festival in Des Moines yesterday but I did not go, I went to a movie instead. Russell Crowe, Ben Affleck and Helen Mirren in State of Play. It was a great thriller and I enjoyed it. The acting was top notch. The twist at the end was not expected. It was set at a newspaper and it made me think about how much the press has not been doing their duty the past 10 years but are just regurgitating the spoon-fed pap which was hand fed to them.
I also finished reading a book and started another. David Baldacchi's First Family is going to be a great read. I really should be reading it instead of writing this.
My car has problems. I am not sure what it is but it is going to cost me $1000+ to get it fixed. but at least it can be fixed and it is cheaper than a new car. I still like it and it fits. I tried to drive a couple of other cars- In one, a Ford Edge I had no leg or ass room. I had my knuckles scrape when I put the seat belt on and my knee was banging the dashboard. Obviously these cars were not designed for someone who used to be 6'3" (and still am at least on one leg.) So I will stick with what I have. After all it only has 124,000 miles on it.
We are still getting rain and thunder. Bailey has not heard the thunder of the would be out growling around and barking. He hates thunder. I have gone back on Facebook and have learned how to do some things on there so that it is more fun. Not sure how long I will stay on it but for now I am enjoying it. Since I am not getting many e-mails lately it is one way to keep in touch with people. Since I am not supposed to drive my car very much I will be hanging around the house and maybe I will get some things done. (But don't count on it.)

Interesting experience today also that points up how my fraternity connects and helps. I had an opportunity to help out one of my Brother's wife and son. As I was waiting for Craig I got a phone call. The brother (who lives in Cedar Rapids) gave his wife my number to call when her car broke down. It was 2:30. Her son had to go to the dorm pick up his tux and cello and get back to C Y Stephens for a 3:00 rehearsal and 4:00 concert. We did it. I left the house, went out and picked them up and took them to the dorm and delivered them to the concert. Then when I got back in town I called and made arrangements to pick her up to take her out to a motel where she will spend the night until she can find out about her car in the morning.

I was the one able to help in this instance but there are thousands of Masons all over the world who would do the same thing and help a brother's family when he can't be there in person.

I love my DVR, I can fall asleep watching a show and wake up in the middle of the next one and because I had set them to record I can watch the end of one and the beginning of the next. Another added plus is that you can fast forward through the commercial. Well that is it for now. Thanks for stopping by, ARTYAL. Hang in there. Flowers are coming. Hugs, j

No comments: