Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Changes

In 1972-73 I attended my first Grand Chapter Meeting. Bob Kilfoil was Grand High Priest. I saw Jerry Marsengill receive his Award as Fellow of the Philalethes Society at that meeting. I have attended every Session since then In 1981-82 I served as Grand High Priest. I served as Chairman of Jurisprudence from 1986 - 2006.

This is the first year that I will not be attending the meetings. They are this weekend and I decided for many reasons not to go. One is the economy - It seems like an expensive weekend for as little as I would get out of it. Another is that last year I had a very unhappy experience at the meetings and they have sort of been spoiled for me. They seem to be more about who can wear the big necklaces rather that productively trying to improve things in the Rite. And eventually you get to the point where you quit hitting your head against the Temple wall.

I have nothing to do over there and as I said last year they were spoiled for me. In fact last summer's events still cast a pall over much of my Masonic life. It has gradually become very plain to me that I am not really wanted in some people's lives and that is all right. I would like to have worked things out but it ain't gonna happen so I will fold my tent and find other campgrounds. All in all what I am involved with makes me pretty happy and I see no real reason to drive for two hours both ways to be ignored or at the most just go in to be introduced and see some other people introduced. I can (and do) see that here.

I was planning on going over to eat with one or more friends but they aren't staying so there is no point in going. And the funny thing is I don't really think I will miss it. I am going to spend the money taking my nephew Jon up to the North Schore of Lake Superior for three or four days (that is all he can get away for) and I think that will be a Superior (get it) thing to do.

It does look as if he will be moving into my basement apartment. I don't think he is to thrilled with it but it will save him some money and enable him to pay more of his student loans off.

The other change in my life is that I am not going to watch the Olympics. I found this over on another Blog (I changed one word throughout from his post):

Screw George W. Bush for attending and supporting the murderous Chinese government.

Screw sportswriters who think holding the Olympics in a totalitarian nation makes it more interesting.

Screw China's Nazi-esque obsession with winning gold medals.

Screw China for refusing a visa to an outspoken U.S. gold medallist.

Screw Coca-Cola, GE, Johnson & Johnson, Kodak, Atos Origin, Lenovo, McDonalds, Manulife, Omega, Panasonic, Visa, Samsung, Omega, UPS, Haier, Budweiser, adidas, Staples and all the other soul-less corporations sponsoring this phony festival in a nation that murders more of its own citizens than anywhere else.

The "Olympic Movement" is a sham and the next three weeks in Beijing will be little more than a long commercial with athletes in it.
I used to watch them also but, quite frankly, I agree with what he says. I find that I am more and more in sympathy with the Tibetian people and see no reason why I should watch the Olympics this year. I can still remember the little man standing up to a tank in the Square. The ancient Chinese culture had some beautiful things in it. It has contributed a lot to our world including spaghetti and paper money and some great thought but I really can't bring myself to watch them anymore. They used to be a symbol to me of the ideals that America stood for, A time of peace for all but any more I am not sure what America stands for. I watch our politicians vilify each other in an attempt to get elected to the Presidency and listen to them lie and distort the truth and the whole thing just seems like a sham to me.

I hope our elections are honest and that the election restores our country in our own eyes and in the eyes of the world. But I am not optimistic. Not sure I am happy with either nominee but you all know I will vote for Obama.

So that is it. A change in my life. Do I feel sad about it. Sure. I feel sad because I no longer feel that my former friend wants me around. He can talk about baby steps all he wants but I am beginning to see the truth. He is just not interested in having me for a friend and I am not really sure I even care any more.

I got chewed on by someone else and that was very liberating. In fact I feel very liberated in that I no longer worry about either of them. I will have to deal with one of them but the other is no longer someone I will. As far as the rest of it goes. I don't turn my TV on nearly as much as I used to. I have books to read and places to go. So that is my rant. I should probably have put it elsewhere (on my private blog I started) but it is here and it is how I feel. Liberation is a good thing. I have other friends and will watch my Netflicks movies instead of the Olympics.

Thanks for stopping by, Hugs, j
ADDENDUM - Kurt had this up on his blog. He calls it the last major event in Bejing.

2 comments:

Dianne said...

I just read that whole neighborhoods were bulldozed flat to make room for Olympic venues.

I also saw photos of many Olympic athletes wearing masks to protect themselves from the pollution.

The entire thing makes me sick. I won't be watching and I won't be buying products from sponsors.

Anonymous said...

The Olympics are "supposed" to transcend politics, pure sports, to provide a place where athletes can compete on a global scale without reference to the political or economic differences. Small countries. Big countries. Name athletes and Jamaican bobsledders. Does that sound like anything else?

Lodge is a place which transcends politics, transcends religious differences, where all men can come together to improve themselves and their communities, while eliminateing dissension. Political and religious differences are to be left at the Tyler's door. All meet on the level, with no regard for social or economic status.

Of course that all changed for the Olympics. For years, some governments would prevent their athletes from participating on political grounds. Then we had the violence in Munich. Still, the major powers avoided such shows of politics. But then the US chose to boycott the Olympics in the USSR. (Actually, the President decided that. Didn't realize he was the athletic director of the USA.) And of course the USSR returned the favor when they games were in Los Angeles. And major politics have been the story of the Olympics ever since.

And the host countries strive to outdo each other, currying prestige and propaganda benefits. Perhaps we should move the games permanently back to Greece. Then Jay will have them in his backyard.