Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Story about George

I have written about the T. S. Parvin Award in the past. It was my very great pleasure to run into the 1982 recipient of this award at George Carr's Funeral - J Kent Zickefoose, Capital Lodge No 110.

Kent was the first person ever to receive this award - I had fun seeing him again and even though it was 26 years ago I recognized him. I stopped him as he was walking by me and called him by name and it was really fun to be able to see him and visit with him. But this post is not about J. Kent. It is about the man who got him to the award ceremony and sat with him while he waited for the award to be presented.

That man was George R. Carr. Kent told me that in 1982 George arranged for him to have Credentials at Grand Lodge to get him there. Our friend Jerry Marsengill was behind it all but George did the actual work to get him the proxy vote and take him to Grand Lodge and sat with him until he was asked to come down to the podium so that the Grand Master and I could present him with that award.. He had no idea what was happening. But he was the first to get this award and George made it happen.

There were a lot of us who could have talked about George at the funeral. Every person there had at least one "George" story. Some people could tell about a kindness George performed for them. We would still be there a week later telling stories about George. I am honored to have known him. There was nothing artificial or phony about him. He had no axe to grind and he sought no title or pin to wear on his lapel. Perhaps that is why he was the recipient of the highest honor which can be given in the Scottish Rite.

I was having an e-mail conversation with someone about George. We mentioned that we missed George and that we really wished that more people had shared stories about this incredible man. We talked about how some criticize our Gentle Craft. And I made the point that it really didn't matter to me that George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, Harry Truman or Earnest Borgnine were Masons but it did matter to me that George Carr was a Mason. His character exemplified Brotherly Love and relief and that is the Truth. 'Nuff said. Thanks for stopping by. ARTYAL, Hugs. jcs

2 comments:

Kurt said...

I really miss George. It's hard to believe that he's gone. There's a huge void let that only George filled.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely true! There were many, many people at George's services last week, and I have no doubt that every one of us could have told "George stories."

And that's rather the point of such obsequies. George was a great man and a great Mason. And so long as anyone alive remembers him, or has heard or read of him, or exemplifies those rare characteristics that George demonstrated so vitally, then George himself will be immortal.

We are all lucky to have known him.