Sunday, August 3, 2008

Movie Review


From Yahoo Movies:

Explorer Rick O'Connell to combat the resurrected Han Emperor in an epic that races from the catacombs of ancient China high into the frigid Himalayas. Rick is joined in this all-new adventure by son Alex, wife Evelyn and her brother, Jonathan. And this time, the O'Connells must stop a mummy awoken from a 2,000-year-old curse who threatens to plunge the world into his merciless, unending service. Doomed by a double-crossing sorceress to spend eternity in suspended animation, China's ruthless Dragon Emperor and his 10,000 warriors have laid forgotten for eons, entombed in clay as a vast, silent terra cotta army. But when dashing adventurer Alex O'Connell is tricked into awakening the ruler from eternal slumber, the reckless young archaeologist must seek the help of the only people who know more than he does about taking down the undead: his parents. As the monarch roars back to life, our heroes find his quest for world domination has only intensified over the millennia. Striding the Far East with unimaginable supernatural powers, the Emperor Mummy will rouse his legion as an unstoppable, otherworldly force... unless the O'Connells can stop him first.
I enjoyed the movie. (But when was there ever a movie that I didn't enjoy - Well, OK, maybe there was one somewhere sometime.) I have gone to movies all my life. I enjoy them and I really liked this one even with its flaws. I like Brendan Frasier. Aside from the fact that he reminds me of Someone I like, he does a creditable job with comic book roles. I enjoy the nuances with his eyes and his lips. I just like him. He is not the greatest actor in the world but I prefer him to many other more popular actors (Tom Cruise, Kevin Costner and even that guy that seems to be in everything. Oh yes, Nicholas Cage) I also like Jet Li as well as the others:

Actors
Brendan Fraser - Rick O'Connell
Jet Li - Emperor Han
Maria Bello - Evelyn Carnahan O'Connell
Michelle Yeoh - Zijuan
John Hannah - Jonathan Carnahan
Luke Ford - Alex O'Connell
Liam Cunningham - Mad Dog Maguire
Isabella Leong - Lin

A couple of the premises (or is it premi) were stretched but that was all right as I knew that it was to move the story along. The movie was well put together and the action sequences were enjoyable. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the first two Mummy movies.

It is always nice to see the new movies that are coming up. George Clooney and Brad Pitt have a new one coming out that looks like it will appeal to my rather juvenile movie taste. In the meantime my VCR stopped working and I got a new one and I cannot hook it up. Anyone want to come over and help me can have a drink of wine, Templeton Rye or (good) Scotch. And my eternal gratitude. I am afraid I am going to have to call the Cable company and go digital. We shall see. In the meantime no more taping General Hospital. I shall have to be home at 2:00 each day to watch it so don't call me then. Thanks for stopping by. Hugs, j

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Tomb of the Dragon Emperor met everyone's expectations... Brendan Frasier tries too hard to act, so you can tell he's acting