Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Travels on Tuesday

A Life of Service

Today it was my pleasure to drive down to Polk City (Well just outside of Polk City to be accurate) to take some posies to Dorothy B. Today was (is) Dorothy's 90th Birthday.

I found out about it yesterday and no way could I get a card to her. So I asked her daughter if she would mind if I dropped by. Dorothy serves with me on the Eastern Star Masonic Home Board. Once a month she drives (herself) to Boone for the meeting. She is the President of the Board.



We had a nice visit. Dorothy has been Secretary of her Eastern Star Chapter for 60 years. That is an incredible life of Service. She raised two daughters and a son. And she spoils her grandchildren (See sign) I love this lady. She is at least half the reason I ran for the Home Board.

The place is pretty big and Dorothy still mows the lawn. Of course it is a riding mower but it is still amazing that she can do this. One of her daughters is our Eastern Star District Instructor and she does an outstanding job. The other daughter is the business manager for the Ballard Community Schools. Her son is a PE teacher and Coach.

Have you ever seen a nicer smile. The card plays "Burning Ring of Fire" - I couldn't resist it.







Here is just a part of the yard. And isn't it a beautiful place

















Then it was a drive to Des Moines across the Mile long bridge across the Saylorville Lake. My favorite drive. (NOT)



















I went to Hensley's Big and Tall and met up with Mike who convinced me to get some new shirts. I should not have done it but they were on sale. And I do like them. And Mike can convince me of anything.

Mile is a Brother but he has not finished his degree work yet. Someday.






I love his place and the quality of his clothing is excellent. I have never gotten shoddy material there and if something occasionally is just a little "off" he stands behind his merchandise.

He is a good friend and he is the one who told me about Chef's Kitchen. One of my favorite places to eat.



Then I met Kurt for lunch at Nana's

It was a good lunch. I had never been here before.

After lunch I went out to Costco to get gas and also some Irish Butter which they sell. It is much better than regular butter. Or at least I think so. I put a little bit and a tiny dab of honey on my oatmeal. It has made Breakfast my favorite meal of the day. The boys were glad to have me back. My new copier is awesome. I am very pleased with the way it prints. I ran letters for the Red Cross tonight and will (hopefully) finish up tomorrow. thanks for stopping by. Have a great Wednesday! Hugs, j

No comments: