Saturday, August 2, 2008

DeMolay Event

Today I went to Des Moines for the DeMolay Summerfest meetings. Or at least the Legion of Honor Investiture and Installation of Officers. DeMolay is an organization which was founded in Kansas City by Frank Land. He saw the need for an organization for young men which would help them to live by the principles of Masonry. You can see below the Altar with the Bible and Schoolbooks around which are placed seven candles which stand for seven virtues.

This is Kyle. He is a former State Master Councilor and when he was in College he helped to start the DeMolay Chapter in Ames. You can see that he is a great guy and we all like him.
The kids were kind of dragging and some of them were dozing a little.
These were the new Legionaries. It is an impressive ceremony. I was honored to be asked to help out a little as the Herald.
There were some creative colors in this guy's hair.
Shane is a former State Master Counselor also. He escaped early because he had a new son born yesterday. Andrew James. Congratulations to Shane and Pamela. A future Demolay?
The new State Officers of the Iowa Association of DeMolay Chapters.
M. W. Grand Master and Mrs. Mosier were in attendance.
The State Master Counselors of Iowa (left) and Nebraska (right) They were having a lot of fun.
You can see all of the pictures I took today at the on-line slide show by clicking on the picture above or here.
And then on the way home another beautiful Iowa sunset. I love living in this state.
And then as I pulled off the Interstate I caught a couple of pictures of some roadside flowers.

3 comments:

kenju said...

Jay, I am glad to see that DeMolay is alive and well in your state, at least. I never hear about it here in NC.

Thanks for the visit, and next time my ears itch, I'll know you are thinking about the ballet! LOL

Unknown said...

Jay, Nice Photo Album from last night, except for that one photo of me that you kept.

I thought a lot about what you said about not participating in the Grand Council/Chapter until they did something. Will be contacting you later to discuss what you think they need to be doing.

Rick

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

Rick, I thought it was a good picture.

Now as to the York Rite.
First I wrote this
http://baileysbuddy.blogspot.com/2008/07/are-you-just-place-holder.html

Then I wrote this.
http://baileysbuddy.blogspot.com/2008/07/dread-disease.html

At the very least the dais officer (perhaps all the officers) should be getting together and I mean the head officers of all three bodies. They should review what has happened to the York Rite in Iowa and they should proactively plan on ways to reverse the trend. If it takes all Iowa Festival and new blood and something happening at Grand meetings rather than the same old same old.

But it will take work and frankly I don't see that happening. Just my thoughts. j

Perhaps if they would put themselves in Don's hands to organize and get things going as an "executive director" of the Rite something might happen.