Monday, May 25, 2009

Ames Municipal Cemetery - Memorial Day 2009

This is the view of "Grandpa's Bottom from the Ames Cemetery. I wrote the poem below in 2008. You can click on the pictures to see them larger. Many of the stones are my family. The flags were donated by veteran's families. Every year there are a few more. The picture by the start of the poem with the couple standing under the tree shows my home in the background.














Stone flowers growing on a hillside
above my great grandfather's farm.

The history of my town is buried here.
Some of the flowers are tall
most are small - stunted.

Walking among them I come across
old friends and family

Waiting there for me to join them.

I sometimes wonder if the garden
will run out of space.

Everybody there had a story to tell.
I wonder what it was



No comments: