Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Vanilla Wafer Dessert


In 1972 I put together a Family Cookbook and gave it to all my cousins. My sister is in the process of revising and extending it and may be publishing it for sale. The following desert is my favorite. I have not had it for at least 10 years. In keeping with the eclectic nature of this blog I offer it to you - Let me know if you make it and what you think. j

This recipe is to die for!
1 can Condensed milk
1/2pt Whipping cream 1 pkg. Vanilla wafers
Nuts, crushed, optional (Be careful of how you crush the nuts, I understand it can be quite painful)
Procedure
1 Caramelize sweetened condensed milk. TO CARAMELIZE SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK; Pour can into shallow pan,cover with foil and bake in a 424° oven for 1 1/2 hours.
2 Blend with 1/2 pint of whipped cream.
3 Arrange a layer of vanilla wafers in a 9 x 9 inch pan.
4 Add a layer of milk mixture.
5 Alternate vanilla wafers and milk mixture, ending with milk mixture on top.
6 Refrigerate 24 hours.
7 OPTIONAL: Garnish with whipped cream, crushed vanilla wafers with nuts and a cherry.

Addendum: Aunt Jo said that she caramelizes the Borden's (It must be Borden's Brand) Sweetened Condensed milk by simmering it unopened (My grandmother used a pressure cooker without the top on. You have to keep it covered by water) and then letting it cool before you open it to mix with whipped cream.

1 comment:

Leila Franca said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe! Well, i guess everything made with condensed milk is delicious! I have a recipe that looks like yours, but i put sliced cake (common cake that we buy at market)instead of the wafers.