Monday, May 11, 2009

The Ledges State Park

Click to embiggen pictures.
The road to the Ledges State Park near Boone Iowa leads down into the Des Moines River. It is a very pleasant drive in the Spring and the light was perfect for taking pictures today.
The new growth of leaves coming in makes the forest a kaleidoscope of greens.


With its sandstone cliffs, native plant communities and deep wooded river valley, Ledges is a truly unique place. The winding road along Pea's Creek offers motorists breathtaking views of the "canyon" and the Des Moines River Valley.

Ledges, one of Iowa's most popular state parks, has attracted millions of visitors. Thirteen miles of hiking trails lead up and down steep slopes to scenic overlooks and provide access to spectacular views of Pea's Creek "canyon". While most of the trails include steep portions, a fully accessible interpretive trail around Lost Lake is located at the southern part of the park
Park facilities constructed of native timber and field stone by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in the 1930's are still standing today. These examples of fine craftsmanship include an arch stone bridge, shelter in Oak Woods, stone trail steps and the stone shelter in lower Ledges.



The May Apples are in full force and there are also some beautiful Sweet Williams growing and blooming among them. They must "do their thing now" before the canopy above blocks out the sun and the forest floor does not get enough light for the lower level.

The waxy flower of the May apple grows where the stem forks. I was lucky enough to get two close ups of one of the blooms so you could see them. When I was younger I tried to pick bunches of wild flowers. I learned that they do not last and so now I leave them in the forest and enjoy them there. I will be able to enjoy these blooms next winter.


The wildlife and plant communities are interwoven with the human history of Ledges. Humans have appreciated this unique area for thousands of years. Archaeological evidence found within the park dates to around 4,000 years ago. At the time of European settlement, the Ledges area was inhabited by the Sauk, Fox (now the Mesqwakie) and Sioux. Native American mounds in the vicinity contain artifacts acting as silent reminders of the area's past inhabitants.

The beauty of the canyons and bluffs of Ledges very quickly became a major attraction to the growing local communities. Ledges was proposed as a state park as early as 1914. The first park custodian, Carl Fritz Henning, was appointed in 1921. In 1924, the Ledges officially became one of Iowa's first state parks.







I don't know what these little spring beauties are but they were carpeting the floor. I was able to get a pretty good close up of them. I feel that I was lucky with my photos today. Since Bob and his wife are in Minnesota you can expect some pictures from up there soon.




The green in this tree was lighted just right by the 4:00 sun. Again, I was just lucky to be in the right place at the right time.


Some folks were having fun building a small dam across the creek.

Leaving the Ledges
On the way back to Ames I got this shot of our Iowa farmland. The farmers are working in the fields and in some places you can see the plants beginning to grow. Soon we will have corn and beans springing up all over this beautiful land.

And to top off the beautiful day the lilacs are in full bloom and I took this shot of a bush by the side of the road. I need to go pick one or two from my bush to bring the smell inside.

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed the photo's ARTYAL, Hugs.

Some content from the Ledges Web Site. I don't believe in reinventing the wheel.

9 comments:

sue said...

lovely pictures. Moved south 20 years ago and I still miss the lilacs in the spring. We never needed to bring them inside. Just open the window as they were right in front of it, and since the smell is so invasive the house would smell like lilacs as soon as spring sprung.

Now I make due with orange blossoms.

Ziggy Stardust said...

Your pictures are incredible, what a pleasure, thank you.

Ziggy Stardust said...

p.s. Bailey needs to come visit Sasha blog.

~DK~ said...

I happened across your blog due to Blog of Note last week. I decided to stick around for awhile since it is obvious you are in my neck of the farmland (I very much enjoyed the floral pictures you posted from around Ames).

I was in Ledges on Saturday. Your pictures are proof that this is an amazing time of year, I am pretty sure that the amount of green has doubled in just two days!

Unknown said...

Wonderful trip through the park and am so glad you took me along. The plant on the forest floor in the first few pics resemble split leaf philodendrum but I'm sure they're not as it would be too cool for them, but they're gorgeous anyway.

Notes from a Virtual Easel said...

Thanks for the lovely tour. I never visited Iowa, though I heard a lot about it from my dad's family. They were from Wapello.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos! I love reading posts that take me through an adventure, thanks!

Nessa said...

Beautiful. I love the woods. I especially loved the picture with the stone bridge.

JeaneBee said...

I must agree with the above comments, your photos are beautiful, serene and dreamlike. People who have never visited the midwest (Iowa or Nebraska) have no idea what they're missing!

JeaneBee - Nebraska