Saturday, May 23, 2009

Another Beautiful Day in Ames

I had to stop at the Post Office today. I thought the mail boxes made an interesting picture. The Post Office was built in 1935 and I always love going into it. It has a feeling of stability and timelessness to it that you don't always find in newer buildings.
The mural on the North wall has a Grant Woodian feel to it. I imagine it was painted by the group of students under him who also painted some murals in the Iowa State University Library. Perhaps I shall go out there and take some pictures for you. Close up below.
The building below is the headquarters of the Youth and Shelter Services. (It used to be the City Hall.) It is headed by my friend George Belitsos. They do wonderful work with kids who need help. They always receive a donation from me in memory of my mother at this time of year. The story goes like this: - I used to take a nice hanging basket out to the cemetery for my mother's grave. One year I spent quite a bit on a beautiful lavender (her favorite color) geranium basket. I put it up on a Sunday and went by on Monday afternoon to water it and it was gone. I thought my sister might have picked it up but she had not. It had been stolen. Needless to say I was pissed. A letter to the editor was written and since that time I have made a donation to YSS in lieu of putting flowers on Mom's grave. I think she would have liked that. One time I offered to buy a brick for the Plaza of Heroines in her name. She would not let me do it. She said she would rather the money went to something that would help people. My mom was like that!

George's family put this fountain up to help honor him I love it and it was fun to see kids (people) enjoying it today as I exited the Post Office. The pictures below were taken with the zoom lens. Have I mentioned lately how much I love my camera?

Then it was up to my Aunt JoAnn's for a family picnic. Fried Chicken, potato salad, baked beans (the best I have ever eaten) and two fruit salads. Rolls too. Home made chocolate angel food cake for dessert.
The picture below is a close up taken through the screen of a Robin's nest in the bushes off Jo's screened in back porch. It was exciting to see them They would call out and their mother would fly up with a worm to feed them. We were eating much better than they were.
Fay on the left and Georgia on the right. Fay and Randy come down from Alexandria, Minnesota and it is always fun to be with them. Randy tells good stories.
This is Randy. Besides being my cousin he is one of my former students (and he usually gives me a hard time about being his teacher - but he didn't today.) He is connected to the Post Office in that his father was the Ames Postmaster for years.
Aunt Jo did not like me taking her picture. But I did it anyway. I told her that the last time someone commented on my beautiful aunt. Want to guess her age? You never would be able to.
While we were there Gary came in with his wife. He is just back from a tour of duty in Iraq. I used to hang out with his dad. Gene let me tag along with him as a kid when he went to pick up Televisions to repair. I grew up without a father. My uncles, grandfather and Gene (called Jeep) were my surrogate fathers who taught me what it was like to be a man. They were my role models and I miss them still. I was fortunate to have them in my life while I was growing up.

Gary's Mom, Gert and his wife. Great ladies.
This is the Eastern sky over the Homewood golf course as I drove home. It was not a spectacular sunset but it is pretty isn't it?
And this one is the west view out my back door. All in all it was a perfectly lovely start to the Memorial Day week-end. Thanks for stopping by. ARTYAL. Hugs, j

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh your aunt doesn't look happy to have her photo taken, ha ha. I'd guess she's in her 70's?