Sunday, May 10, 2009

Sunday Reading

I spent the entire day reading this book. Here are excerpts from a review:

Becker, James - 'The First Apostle'
Paperback: 576 pages (July 2008) Publisher: Bantam Books ISBN: 0553819720

This is an utterly spellbinding book. The plot is stunning and breathtaking and leaves you racing to the end to find out if your suspicions are correct. Mine were. I was left shattered and stunned at how everything turned out.

The book, which is extremely well-written and uses a clever mixture of fact as well as fiction, opens with the gruesome crucifixion of a prisoner in the days of the Roman Empire....

Having set the scene in a way that is sure to capture your attention, Becker switches to a modern-day situation and a murder in an old house in Italy. ...

A devastated Mark Hampton rushes back to Italy and takes his friend Chris Bronson, a policeman, with him for support. They become immersed in trying to unravel the secrets inside the house and finding out who the intruders were, as well as what they wanted. Their search has them digging around in the history of the house as well as dodging the mafia, being labeled as murder suspects, and learning about an ancient Christian cult called the Cathars. Their search eventually leads them to Rome and is ultimately connected to the death of the mysterious old man held prisoner at the start of the book.

I absolutely loved this novel! It is particularly interesting as the author has carried out a vast amount of historical research, in order to get his facts straight. In places the degree of realism is such that it is hard to see when the facts end and the fiction starts. The book throws a huge, dirty question mark at the beginnings of early Christianity and has the potential to make you look hard at yourself and the truth of what you have been brought up to believe. Who are 'The Liars' mentioned on the stone above the Hampton's fireplace? Are they still lying today?

Amanda C M Gillies, Scotland
August 2008

I totally enjoyed reading this book. It was fast paced and kept my attention all day. I read until around 5:30 and went out to get supper and then came back and watched Nova and Desparate Housewives and Brothers and Sisters and then finished the book.

I used to do that when I taught and thing got too much for me. This past week was one hell of a busy week and I needed the reading break. I am still in awe at the number of people who have been checking this little place on the internets out. Thanks for stopping by. ARTYAL, Hugs. j-bear

4 comments:

Nessa said...

I have added this to my reading list.

Unknown said...

I love it when authors do really good research and weave it into well written stories. This sounds like one I want to own.

Jane

DonM said...

Anyone interested in historical fiction should check out the series on Genghis Khan by Conn Iggulden. Volume 1 is Genghis: Birth of an Empire. Volume 2 is Genghis: Lord of the Bows. Volume 3 is Genghis: Bones of the Hills. I stayed up way too late last night finshing the first half of volume 1. If it continues to be this good, I suspect I will devour the series through Vol. 3, and then have to wait impatiently until next year for Vol. 4.

Obviously, this is a work of fiction. But, from what I have read elsewhere, and what appears obvious from reading the book, it was very well researched. But it is a novel. As such, it grips you by the throat, and drags you along. And if you forget that you are reading about a real like figure, I content that makes it a success.

Oh yes, since this is a comment on a post, I should probably add that The First Apostle looks intriguing. I will have to see if it will fit in my Kindle.

dianasfaria.com said...

congrats on your blog of note mention. I found what you wrote about being a freemason quite intriguing. I never knew much about masonry & it sounds like a wonderful way of life.
Is Bailey a Yorkie? I have a Yorkie named Priscilla. She is a ray of light.
& your book review sounds interesting too.