Friday, May 15, 2009

Goose Family

There is a family of Canada Goose who live out by the Ames Foot Clinic. Mama was close by watching things.
I think there are five babies.
Papa Goose was up a ways away standing on one foot. Ready to defend his brood. So very nice to see them. The folks at the Foot Clinic are not so fond of them as the birds use the entry way to the clinic for a bathroom.


Goosey goosey gander,
Whither shall I wander?
Upstairs and downstairs
And in my lady's chamber.
There I met an old man
Who wouldn't say his prayers,
So I took him by his left leg
And threw him down the stairs

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never been able to get close enough to the Canada geese to get a photo of the young ones! I got chased one time, ha ha. It was really scary! Pretty photos!

Ashley said...

Haha! It's usually easier to get close if you bring something for them to eat (though not recommended because they might start relying on it and not migrate when they need to). They can be quite vicious (watching your fingers is a good idea) but I personally find swans to be more daunting.

Anonymous said...

cute little chiks!

lilikoilady said...

This one is awesome Rena ... Like Bailey's new friends. Wow!

Ur-spo said...

I used to like Canadian Gooses but they are too numerous, too messy, and too nasty.

mira masque said...

Very adorable.

HDRose, a very gilty girl said...

Thanks for my ahhh moment today. Just enjoyed your photos of the kids interacting at the butterfly and phrog displays.

They grow up too quickly! Savor and enjoy these precious times.

Regarding the geese.

This 'poo' shall pass.

Chef E said...

I just got some great photos of Geese and their babies running around a field while I was on a 'Friday Shoot Out' mission... I had to pull over and take a few shots, but have not posted them yet!

These are too cute!

DonM said...

The geese are neat to see. But feeding is definitely NOT recommended. Not that it will keep them from migrating. Lots of them stay in Iowa year round, or so it seems. But the feeding will definitely attract more and more. They will soon be a huge problem.

But as pretty as they look, they look even nicer after being stuffed with apples and onions, wrapped with bacon, and roasted for about 90 minutes or so.