Monday, October 29, 2007

Eastern Star Memories




We used to say that O.E.S. stood for "The Order of the Eating Sisters."

I know a lot of Brothers who used to eat (myself included) after the meetings and many of us carried around those extra pounds.

What it does stand for is the Order of the Eastern Star. A fraternal organization for women and men that was founded in 1850 by Rob Morris. Rob Morris is an interesting character and worthy of a post all his own but not today.

I got to thinking about this organisation because I just returned from Grand Chapter (See pictures below) and caught up with a lot of friends and was thinking about some others. I thought I'd write about some of my OES memories. Just some of them. There are too many to write them all.

I joined the Eastern Star in October of 1966. 41 years ago for those who count. My mother had suggested that I "might enjoy the Masons." I had joined in the spring of my first year of teaching. So in the Fall of my second year I took a personal day and drove back to Ames to join Laura Chapter. I could have joined the Chapter in Marion, Iowa where I taught but it would be special to become a 4th generation member of Laura Chapter. My great grandmother and grandmother were both Past Matrons of the Chapter and my mother was an officer.

Mother was the only officer holding her own station that night. It was a Friendship Night and Mother held the Station of Ruth. I can still bring to mind her giving me the lecture. I could see the pride on her face as she told me the story of the humble gleaner who had been the ancestress of Jesus. Virginia and Hugh Hossle were the Matron and Patron that year and they became close friends as we worked together in York Rite and the other Masonic Organizations.

There are five points to the Star emblem and at each point there is a story (lecture) told about a real (and one imagined) woman which can be found in the Bible.



Adah was Jephthah's daughter.
We don't know her real name but Brother Morris chose Adah to use when he told the story of this woman who "freely sacrificed her life" to preserve her father's honor. I'm not to fond of this story - I don't like human sacrifice at all. Actually I read somewhere that by the time this story took place the Hebrews did not sacrifice and she may have simply been dedicated to the Temple and the service of God and thus would have to remain a virgin and poor old Jephthah's line would die out. Tragic.


Ruth, was a Moabitish Damsel who accompanied
her mother-in-law back to Israel and became a gleaner in the fields of Boaz. He thought she was pretty special and had his men drop handfuls of barley so she could pick them up and thus feed herself and the aged Naomi. Eventually they got married and that in and of itself wouldn't have been much more than a bump in history but she wound up having children who had children and eventually one of the great- greats was a guy known as Jesus of Nazareth and we all know who he was.



Next we come to one of my favs, Queen Esther.
She was a Jew living in a Persian Kingdom who weren't really very nice to Jews. You know the Jews have been persecuted all over the world. I don't understand it. I think the Jewish religion is a beautiful one (much like Queen Esther who was quite a looker - She won the beauty contest as the most beautiful in the kingdom, after all) and Every Jewish person I have met I have liked. Well except for one and I won't tell you her name. Anyway these old coots were going to destroy the Jews and the Queen heard about it and she went to the King and claimed a promise he had made to her thus saving her people. It was pretty risky for her because the king could have had her killed along with her people. The Jews have a pretty neat holiday to celebrate this event in their history. It is called Purim and I have been told that you are supposed to eat drink and get a little (or a lot) tipsy to remember this event. Pretty neat.

Next we come to Martha. She is one of the
Christian points to our star. She was the sister of Lazarus. The guy who died and they put him in the tomb and he lay there for days while Jesus took his own sweet time getting there. (To be fair I think He knew there was no hurry) Once he got there Martha confronted him. In no uncertain terms she told him that if He had been there her "brother had not died." Jesus told her that her brother would rise again and proved it to her. Thus giving us a beautiful story to retell around the star point and the lesson of a trustful faith. Pretty neat. If he were around today they would probably make a TV show about him.

Now we come to Electa. (She is the one who is made up.) She is (we are told) the "elect lady" that II John is addressed to her. She is supposed to represent the Christian Martyrs who were persecuted (like the Jews) under Rome. She had courage and her "totem" is the Lion. (I actually don't know why we think of the lion as courageous. Maybe the cowardly lion from the Wizard of Oz would be more appropriate. I know if someone told me I was going to be crucified I'd run like Heck (it's a family blog). So she is the last story told and then they bring the candidates up to the Worthy Patron who has a rather long lecture which basically retells all the "stuff" (I love that word) and makes these poor folks stand there for fifteen minutes while he shows just how good he is to remember his lecture.

While they walk from point to point the Worthy Patron (or the Associate Patron) gives some scripture from memory. The Scripture after Electa is the longest and the most beautiful. It teaches the lesson of Love.

All kidding aside. I have been Worthy Patron 9 times and I love the Order. We used to have a lot more fun. We traveled all over the state and went to meetings (sometimes 2 or 3 a week) and the friends we made while doing so are still friends. They are the greatest people in the world.

One of our Past Grand Matrons went to Washington, DC to become the (get this) Right Worthy Grand Secretary of the General Grand Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star. She lived in the International Temple while she was there and she and her husband left the place much better than it was when they moved in. They were gracious hostess and hosts and I visited there several times during their tenure.

I could go on for a long time about this Order. As I said, I love it. I love being a fourth generation member of the Star and I am enjoying being able to work for Star by being a member of the Eastern Star Masonic Home Board in Boone. (I just got elected Secretary, Treasurer and will have to write the minutes from now on. - at least for this year) The people you meet are warm, friendly and the heads of the body are super nice. (Aside - The only thing I don't enjoy is being "PRESENTED"  That is when they drag you up to the East and introduce you. I used to get a kick out of it but any more I just try to skip that part.)  I recommend all those eligible to investigate and join. I'll even come and do the Worthy Patron's part if you want. Hugs, j-bear.

Oh yes, One more thing. My sister is not as enamored of Eastern Star as Mother and I. One time she heard a siren going by after Mom and I had gone to a meeting. Someone wondered what was on fire. "I hope it is the Masonic Temple." was Ginny's reply. I think she was jealous that we spent so much time there. When she joined Star she spent most of her time helping out in the kitchen or dining room rather than attending meetings. Doubt if she could work her way in now but she still belongs. 

No comments: