Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Hump Day


I am going to start with this picture. It is called The Gleaners and I remember studying it when I was in Jr. High. I don't remember much about what I was taught but it was painted by Jean François Millet a French Artist who lived from 1814-1875. I saw it somewhere the other day and it has always reminded me of this season. I love it and the idea that poor people could go out into the fields and gather or glean food. It also points out the importance of education in the Arts. Remember to support all Arts Education. Anne to whom this Bolg is dedicated this month is a music educator.

I had lunch with my friend Dallas this noon. She should be retired but she enjoys working too much Her school system is lucky to have her. I always have a good time having lunch with her. We ran into Phil O on our way out. We both had his kids in school and it was great to run into him.

After I dropped her off at her car (after we drove through the Ford Motor lot so I could show her the car I would like to be able to afford (Ford Edge) I drove to Des Moines to get gas. Not really, but it is 5 cents a gallon cheaper down there so I try to need gas when I am in Des Moines. I actually had to deliver a couple of things, A ritual to Shane and and Agenda to George. We are having our Annual Meeting of St. Bartholomew Conclave on Saturday and I have a lot to do to get ready - They both needed the things I brought them to help them get ready. On top of that we have Arcadia Stated Meeting tomorrow night and since I am Recorder of one and Secretary of the other that gives me a lot to do also. It is a good thing that Shirley comes next Monday to clean because the place needs it and it will need it worse by then.

After nice visits with both of them I went out to Acanthus and met Bob K. the Secretary and sat in his office while he checked the mail and printed some labels. We (secretaries) will start to get dues in soon and will have to send out dues cards so he is "gettin' ready." There is a lot to do as a secretary and he has about twice as much as I do because Acanthus is the largest lodge in the state. More than twice as many members as I have in Arcadia. Bob has helped me through some tough times and I consider him a great friend. I admire and respect him. I know he reads this blog because on occasion he lets me know if he agrees or disagrees with me. So today I had three good conversations with three great friends. What could be better.

I got back to Ames and exchanged the battery charger that didn't work with my camera (this time I took the camera with me) and then went up to pick up the new medicines at Walgreens. Not fond of having to take pills and I am not sure I like what I am taking but I suppose that since I am going to the doctor I need to follow his directions.

Then to the big Q for supper. I took some pictures of the guys working there. I have (as I told you) lost 77.5 pounds this year and eating there is a big part of it. I have made friends with them and they call me by name. It is a good place to eat and there is enough variety that I don't get bored.














Tonight a man came over to me and asked me my name. I told him and he had asked because he had gone to Gilbert School. I knew his sisters. Later he came back over and asked me again and then I realized that until my Senior year I had gone by Jay Jackson. When I got my driver's licence I knew I had to get it in my legal name which was Simser. When I told him that it clicked with him and his face lit up. I know I have changed since High School but it was nice for him to come up and I am flattered that I was still recognizable after almost 50 ears (I graduated in 1959). In the picture below you can see what I looked like back then. That is me with the girls in the class on our trip to New York and Washington DC. I think it is a fun picture and the girls in my class were all lookers.


I live in Ames and so I am supposed to support the Cyclones. There is a couple who come into Q almost every night. We have become nodding acquaintances. He saw me with my camera and wouldn't let me take his picture with the back of his car because I give him a bad time about having a dead parrot on his jeep. Go Cyclones!


Have a great Wednesday evening and get ready for the Week-end! Bear hugs from J-bear!

No comments: