Sunday, October 7, 2007

Sunday Rants and Raves

Shoes -
I have to wear a special shoe on my left foot because I wear a brace. I had to have an ankle fusion operation because the foot doctor I was going to was incompetent and not only told me to ignore the clicking sound my ankle was making but then he put a brace on me that wore a hole in my ankle and got infected. Thank heaven for Dr. Mike Lee who did my operation and saved my foot. But I am shorter on one leg than the other (changing my name to (Ileane) so one shoe is built up. Medicare will only buy one pair of shoes for a diabetic a year. The difficulty is that because of my brace I have to wear a larger shoe on my left foot than I do on my right foot.

So I am stuck purchasing two pairs of shoe every time I need shoes. I let Medicare buy the one that has to be built up. I was wearing a different style shoe on my right foot because I was told the others were $140. a pair. Well to make a long story short my new foot doctor recommended that the ulcer on my right large toe would heal better if I got a different shoe. I found that I could get the same style at Brown's in Ames for $90. Much better. So now I have a left shoe not being used one size and a right shoe slightly larger. Anybody need a pair of mismatched shoes see me.

I wore the new shoe yesterday to Red Cross. I am not used to it yet (but it looks nice to have matching shoes) and was stumbling all day. I will get used to it and in the meantime it looks nice to have matching shoes.



The New TV Season


To say that I am not much impressed with the new season on TV is putting it mildly. I welcome back my favorites; Boston Legal, Brothers and Sisters, Desperate Housewives (They have incredible stars), NCIS, Numbers and Las Vegas and of course Two and a Half Men.

But of the new stuff let's see - I like: Moonlight, Pushing Daisies, Dirty Sexy Money and Big Shots (so far). That is less than the fingers of one hand. I dislike reality shoes. The much hyped Cane has turned me off there is no fun in it. I heard it compared to Dallas. Sorry Charlie Dallas was fun. You loved to hate JR. It was large. Not much like Cane. I really don't mind. I think TV is over-rated. The news channels struggle to fill their space and mostly it is with emptiness or they cover celebrities.. Why we worry about what Britney, Paris and others are doing is beyond me.

I know some people who have their TV on all day. I suppose it is for company. My mother always said I enjoyed my own company and so many days the TV doesn't come on until General Hospital. Mother got me hooked on that and so I watch it. I miss some of the older story lines but I still watch it.

David Letterman/Craig Ferguson

Craig Ferguson is the funniest man on television. (Sorry Dave) I watch both of them. I have been turned off by Letterman since he bullied Paris Hilton on his show. That was just rude! Of course she was stupid to even go on his show but he wasn't nice. I was very uncomfortable watching the show and I think he owes her an apology. I also hate the obvious gesture he makes when he wants the drummer to punctuate his joke (He buts his right hand flat against his hip.) His show is very formulaic and I honestly don't know why I watch it when The Daily Show and Steven Colbert are so much funnier. Actually I do watch the Daily Show and then tape the Colbert Report. As for Jay Leno he turned me off years ago.

But Craig Ferguson has the funniest monologue on TV. He is somewhat formulaic also but when he first comes out you know you are going to be treated to ten minutes of his observations and his humor. Just cracks me up. I don't always last through the entire show but it is the best. One time he devoted his entire monologue to a heartfelt talk about all the people who were "beating up on Britney." He knows as he is a recovering alcoholic and he was the only person on TV who showed her some compassion. Not much compassion for others as celebrities are "fair game" but it was really neat to see him get serious and let his true feelings come out. To be fair David Letterman did that after 9/11 also so I will give him credit for that.

Newspapers

What is black and white and read all over?
I subscribe to two newspapers; The Des Moines Register and the Tribune (nee Ames Daily Tribune). They have whole sections I don't read. I never look at the Real Estate section (who can afford to move?) The car section (who can afford a new car?) I generally check the obituaries (to see if I have shot off yet) and always the police report (to see if I have been arrested.) I look for pictures of people I know. (for awhile there were pictures of Linda White and her husband in the Ames paper about every day and then, surprise, I saw them in the Des Moines Paper. I miss reading the Christian Science Monitor. I used to get it on-line but the web site was so messed up that I just canceled it rather than deal with the frustration. It had the best in-depth articles of NEWS from all over the world.

In the newspaper this morning as I was pulling out the Sports section to throw away I noticed that two of our three state universities (Iowa and Iowa State) both lost their football games. I cannot for the life of me see why schools spend so much time, money and energy on sports. I believe in physical education for children and I believe in individual physical activity. But what I cannot see is why elementary schools spend so much time teaching team sports. Why High Schools pay so much money for football fields and other team sport venues.

I resent that our society spends so much money on these and other forms of entertainment when there are people living under bridges in our community and children who are not taken care of with health insurance and I think George Bush just showed us his hypocrisy again. Compassionate? I think not. Let's get our priorities straight people. We need to help bring people up from the poverty level. Find them jobs which will enable them to support themselves and become contributing members of our society.

That's it.

I am still very tired from yesterday, but it is a "good tired" - I have this picture of a new Knight Companion in my head with his wife and two daughters (all absolutely beautiful) beside him. Other friends also at the table enjoying themselves. The looks on their faces and the spirit of conviviality (my goodness I spelled it correctly) in the room and my heart overflows with good feelings. Life is good and I am so glad my mother said to me (lo, those many years ago) "You might enjoy being a Mason." As in so many things she was right! I gave away some of her Masonic jewelry (I like giving, don't you know) and the ladies who received it directly from my hands showed me just how touched they were to have it. I am glad. Mom would be pleased to know that the women who will wear her jewelry will enjoy having it and that it is not sitting in a box somewhere gathering dust.

Now I have to write the minutes, prepare the bank deposit and restore order to the house....or I may just take a nap. Be Loved. Bear Hugs! j

No comments: