Monday, October 1, 2007

October, the Month of Change

October gave a party;
The leaves by hundreds came;
The ashes, oaks, and maples,
And those of every name.

October is one of my favorite months. I love being able to drive around and look at the changing trees. I noticed trees at the cemetery as I drove by are changing already. I wrote a poem once about Nature's Public Art. A lady at church mentioned that a tree down by City Hall was so beautiful and so I drove down to take a look. My poetry isn't very good but I enjoyed writing it. Hope some of you enjoy reading it.

October was the eighth month in the old (Julian) calendar, hence the name- octo meaning eight in Latin. It was the month I could decorate for Halloween at school (until the religious right got hold of power and started complaining). I used to make really neat decorations and put them up. They were harmless fun and the kids enjoyed them. Oh well, things change.

Some October Trivia stolen from Wikipedia:

October begins on the same day of the week as January in common years and May in leap years
October in the Northern Hemisphere is the seasonal equivalent to April in the Southern Hemisphere and vice versa.
October's birthstone is the opal or tourmaline.
October's flower is the calendula or cosmos.
Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving on the second Monday of October.
The month October has become famous as "Red October", due to the Russian October revolution of 1917, although in the modern Gregorian calendar, the revolution started in November.
In the nineteenth century, the month of October was dedication to devotion to the rosary in Roman Catholic countries.
October is the most common birth month, along with July.
Besides Halloween we used to celebrate United Nations day at school and Columbus Day both of which (like Halloween) have fallen out of favor. Oh well, things change.

The birds are leaving. I have had the windows open and hear the snow geese honking on their way south (wish I were going south) - The farmers are in the fields getting their harvests in. things are changing.

This is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. You should go to the Breast Cancer Site and click to give. You can do it once each day and it's free. While there you can also click on other sites to help. So I am dedicating this month on my blog to Breast Cancer awareness and to my friend Anne C who keeps me aware of this important cause. You can find out a lot more about this by going here and checking out some of the sites listed.

So, Have a great October and make a change in something. Bearhugs to all. j

No comments: