Friday, October 26, 2007

Illness


I seem to have an illness. I think it is called bookitis. I never seem to have enough of them.

A person who shall go unnamed sent me an e-mail yesterday and told me about a book. He wrote:

I have a book to recommend. It's not a new book, but it has just been re-released on its five year anniversary. It is Lamb, by Christopher Moore. It is funny, irreverent, bawdy, and has a real message. (Did I say it was funny?) If you have ever read anything by Moore, you will know that his humor is outstanding and side-splitting. Anyway, this is a first person story of the life of Jesus, as told by his life-long pal Biff. It fills in all those years between the time when he needed to be about his father's work and when he began his ministry, at least as documented in the recognized scriptures.

I read this book when it first came out, and just about hurt myself laughing at times. And I really thought that Christopher was in danger of being assaulted by the religious right. But I loved it. Anyway, the new version has a leather (fake I suppose since the book isn't all that terribly expensive) cover, a nice little ribbon place holder, and looks a lot like a skinny Bible. It also included a new afterword, which I shamelessly read while standing in Barnes and Noble. (Heck, they wouldn't have minded if I sat down and read the whole book, as long as I bought a cup of coffee.) Anyway, in the new afterword, he talks about his experience writing the book, and his fears that he would be pilloried for it. But he said the response has been wonderful. With the exception of three people, and perhaps he exaggerates, he said that everyone wrote that they loved the book but assumed that everyone else would hate
Well, I had to go down to Des Moines today for an Eastern Star Masonic Home Board Meeting. and then I had to pick up my suit which was altered (made smaller :~)) and as I was already close I went out to Costco to buy gas (13 cents a gallon cheaper than Ames) and of course, I was going right past Barns and Noble I decided to stop in to check it out.

I usually buy my books at Borders but I love Barns and Noble and am so glad they don't have one in Ames. But I went in, followed the lady up the stairs and came away with a bill of $82.
When I am in the poor house I wonder what boiled book will taste like?

It is not as if I needed the books, I have about 10 lined up to read and another 10 that I bought and put in a pile for when I run out of the books I really want to read. See what I mean, it is an illness. I do share them when I have finished and I enjoy doing that but - - -- oh, what the heck, I enjoy them, I don't have anybody but me to spend my money on and it doesn't hurt anyone. I don't know of any pills to take for a cure so I will stop worrying about it and in the meantime I have a book to finish before I can start the new ones. Hugs, j-bear

2 comments:

gpa don said...

Books, books, books...Oi vay, I have books. Several years ago, my son and I were in the River Lights book store, and of course, I was buying more books. My son,Michael, put his hand on my arm and said, "Dad, have you heard there are libraries?"

gpa don said...

BTW, any book by Barbara Tuchman is worthy indeed!