Tuesday, October 9, 2007

A Visit to Knoxville

I joined the Order of the Eastern Star in 1966 in October. I have been Worthy Patron nine times. I am currently serving on the Eastern Star Masonic Home Board in Boone, Iowa. I enjoy it a lot. Particularly because of the Sisters and Brothers I have met through the Order. One of those is Sister Nancy N. who is the Grand Secretary of the Iowa Eastern Star. She has her office in Knoxville and I have been thinking of going down to see it and visit her for a long time.

So, through the magic of e-mail I invited myself to come down to take her out for lunch today. I will share some pictures I took.

Here is the Office with Nancy peeking out to greet me.

The main reception area. That is a beautiful signet in the back on the right.
Nancy showing off some of the files she has to keep. I have never seen so organized an office. Everything was neat and easy to find.
A shelf with some old Chapter Seals and other material from Chapters who have closed.
Last year's commemorative souvenirs of Grand Chapter on the left this year's is on the right.
A display of old Officer Jewels.
This is the room in the basement where the Board of Grand Trustees hold their meetings.
Paraphernalia stored from chapters and items for sale/
In this last picture Nancy seems to be saying something about all the "stuff" she has to store.
We walked a block to a nice restaurant for lunch. (I insisted on walking on the outside. When I was in grade school (aeons ago) I used to walk downtown with Miss Steele who was my favorite teacher. She taught second grade and she trained me to walk on the outside as she said she didn't want to get splashed by mud from the street as the horses went by.) I still remember her and the lessons she taught. See what a good teacher can do.

We both had salads and a nice visit. We have known each other for years but somehow you don't really get to "know" a person unless you can visit with them outside of the fraternal hall. Her husband was taking a class so he couldn't join us. I learned a lot of things but the neatest was that she and her family used to go camping with the Buckskinners.

Their best trip was a trip to Utah. No TV, no radio, no telephones and no palm pilots or e-mail. They live the way the pioneers lived. Sounds like a lot of fun. I used to go camping and I loved it but this incorporates role-playing.

I had a great day and a good visit with her. The Grand Secretary is really the glue that keeps us together. Other officers are in place for a year of two but she keeps the organization running. I appreciate all you do Nancy. Thanks for letting me take your time for the tour and the visit. Hugs - j

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jay,
Thanks so much for sharing your visit. I would have never guess what it would be like!

Is there a way we can find out what is stored and/or for sale? Does Nancy publish an inventory of these items?

Thanks again, Deb

Anonymous said...

Jay,
Wow! What a cool place! I enjoyed your comment about "walking on the outside", you have always been a good example to the youth you have been involved in as well, I know my kids learned alot from you, and so did I! It's also neat to see a fellow Buckskinner, although we don't go as much as we used to, we still enjoy it when time allows.
Blessings and Light,
Tammy