Sunday, October 14, 2007

Elizabeth: The Golden Age (2007)

Cate Blanchete stars in the movie Elizabeth: The Golden Years. I went this afternoon. The effete critics have given it mixed reviews. I won't say it was the best movie I have ever seen but it was worth the money and I really enjoyed the cinematography. There were beautiful scenes and magnificent pictures of the ocean and the storm that finished the Spanish Armada. The acting was, again, not the best I have seen but Miss Blanchet and Clive Owen played off each other well and I certainly enjoyed their interaction. Abbbie Cornish as Elizabeth Throckmorton, Elizabeth's ward was also very believable. (as well as being a beautiful woman).

The costumes are also worthy of mentioning. I love period pieces and I have seen many movies about Elizabeth I. In most of them she is over dressed. In this movie there were some of her dresses that were just spectacular with faux angel wings and beautiful brocades but for the most part they were simply elegant. I think that a person has to remember that in that day and age most people did not have closets full of clothing. But the Queen did and her figure (Cate's) wore them to good advantage.

One of the underlying themes of the movie, to me, was just how alone Elizabeth was. she was queen and surrounded by sycophants and courtiers - all of whom wanted something from her. Wherever she went she was surrounded by guards and others to insulate her from the common people. She could never be sure that she was loved, let alone even liked. (I can empathize with that.)

She was in many ways more of a prisoner than those in her gaols. She wanted to connect with someone and have them love her but she chose duty over love.

She led England through a time when it was throwing off the influence of Rome and the Pope and left it with an unparralled era of peace and prosperity. She set the stage for the later empire. Yet through it all you wonder if she was really happy. Certainly she was controlling and demanding. But you could see the agonizing over decisions and the willingness to forgive those who had, in some ways betrayed her trust. In short, she was a human being who did great things for her country and I feel that this movie portrayed her on many levels.

So I will recommend it. I enjoyed it and I hope you will also. Hugs on a chilly, rainy Sunday. jcs

No comments: