Thursday, January 17, 2008

Awesome Responsibility


When I start my day I look at Google Analytics to see how many people have "hit" my blog. This morning it said that 90 of you were here yesterday. From the little map below I get different statistics but it gives me a list of towns so I look at it also. Here is the list so far from today.
Location
Amlin, OH, United States
Ames, IA, United States
, , United States
Darien, WI, United States
Jenkintown, PA, United States
, , United States
Des Moines, IA, United States
Jefferson City, MO, United States
Cedar Rapids, IA, United States
Mitchellville, IA, United States
, , United States
Atlanta, GA, United States
O Fallon, MO, United States
Des Moines, IA, United States
Miami, FL, United States
Charleston, SC, United States
Springfield, IL, United States
London, United Kingdom
Sunbury, OH, United States

If you look on the map you will see a lot of "dots" representing yesterday's hits. It updates daily. In other words I am being read by people from all over the world. Some of you have become blogfriends (a word I "coined" and yes I did, cause even if it is out there somewhere else I had never heard it and so I made it up) and e-mail me and we have conversations "off-blog" Others leave comments on the blog. (There is one person who put some comment about him being from the "great throne" of something or other and that is why I have moderated comments.) Some sign their name and others prefer anonymity.

I started this thing as a way to keep in touch with my sister who had moved to Missouri. (No jokes about her being in misery) and this is easier than e-mail. At first it was mainly about what was happening in my life and then I moved on to rants, tributes, articles about Masonry, pictures (some mine and some my friends) - eventually I "put it all out there" and that was a problem for some people. But it was good therapy for me and helped me through some rough times. I am sure that I pissed some people off and they no longer read my blog. That is OK, No one has to read it but if you want to keep up with what I am doing this is the place (and Jay's calendar on the left will tell you what I have scheduled) -

I have almost quit doing this a couple of times. My friend (not blogfriend I have known her for years) from Minnesota told me that I did not "have the right to quit" so I didn't. I know she reads it because she e-mails me to comment on things. She has been a sister to me and it has been way too long since I have seen her. But this helps.

I never know what I am going to write about. I am sometimes inspired by the morning paper and at other times by something I read on another blog. It just sort of happens. Sometimes I get an idea in my head and it bounces around until it comes out. Sometimes the blog post is complete the first time I hit "publish post" and at other times I may have to go back in several times to "fix" it. Once in awhile I will add to a post when something comes up - I usually do that in red.

Yesterday I wrote about Ritual. I got the inspiration for that from a Brother who was commenting on an e-mail I had sent to him and something he said inspired me. I already had the little cartoon waiting for a chance to be used.

I do three other blogs also. One for the Christian Science Church here in Ames. (I used to be a member). that is easy to do because the First Reader just sends it to me and all I have to do is post it. Then there is my Poetry Blog. For years I have been writing poetry. Most of it is what I call "trite" poetry but there are one or two good ones on there. Most of my poems have "come to me" I haven't had to do much to them. I was sitting in the grocery store one time and this couple came towards me. They were walking side by side and were in step with one another. They never new that they inspired a poem. Dancin' the Slow Dance. It was neat how it just wrote itself. The Crow Convention was written during a boring faculty meeting. (Aren't all faculty meetings boring? I don't lay any great claims for my poetry and they could all use some work but they are there and if you like you can read them. Part of the reason for doing this blog was because I was at a standstill for writing poetry and this became my writing outlet.

The Des Moines Scottish Rite let me start a Blog for them. I put one up and labeled it "unofficial" and started posting to it. I began going to Scottish Rite Events and taking pictures and putting them on-line for members to enjoy. Eventually someone told me I could take the "unofficial" off and so now I guess I am legitimate. I put up the events calendar and the officer list and go to a lot of the functions (when they aren't on Thursdays - that is Arcadia Lodge Night) and take pictures. It isn't linked from their web site yet so I guess I am only partly "official" but it gives me something to do for the Scottish Rite. (I will say this if you want the up-to- date calendar of events you have to go to the blog).

I have belonged since 1976 (Bicentennial Class) but really didn't attend much as I was not in the degrees and was just really busy in other things. Now I really work to go down to take pictures and put them up. Our Des Moines Scottish Rite is more and more active and it is really nice to feel a part of what is going on. (Even if George Carr doesn't like the word "blog" and refuses to read them)

So there you have it. I have to get busy and process some dues and get ready to go to Lodge tonight. Since I am Secretary it is not just a matter of putting on my coat and walking out the door. But I am enjoying it and won't have to do it forever. I hope you have enjoyed this post. I am almost upon the one year anniversary of the Blog. I started February 12, 2007. We will have cake on the 12th of February. This will be post Number 706 and the counter number is 15,777. I know that I will repeat my self by saying this but I am feeling that it has become an "awesome responsibility." I am also sure that I will repeat myself in things I write about but that is OK because I am certain that most of you have not read all of my posts nor do you remember everything I have written about. (Hell, I don't remember everything.) So just know that you are loved and catch a big Hug from j-bear

No comments: