Saturday, June 14, 2008

Pictures from Cedar Rapids/Tornado

I received this picture from Kevin after I had posted this originally. It is a dramatic picture of the tornado that hit the Boy Scout Camp. I still get very emotional when I think of this. As a former Scout I went to Camp. As a teacher we took students to Camp for overnights regularly. We had some time when storms were predicted. Fortunately we were all safe. It is a real tragedy to think of these children who were injured and lost their lives. One of the scouts was profiled on Channel 8 news. He made pillow cases for children in hospitals to brighten their stay. I do not understand this sort of thing at all. Please say a prayer for them.
Addendum:  While this is an awesome picture of a Tornado it is not the one that hist the Boy Scout Camp. Evidently this one was in Northeast Iowa and went back up without hurting anyone.  Still frightening.
These are pictures of Cedar Rapids. Iowa. My friend Peachie sent them to me. Her daughter took them. The building surrounded by water is on an Island in the middle of the Cedar River. It is their city hall. Our Grand Lodge Building is high and dry but they are without power. One of the hospitals had to be evacuated. I taught my first four years just outside of Cedar Rapids and so this is still a place I have fond memories of. My thoughts and prayers are with them all. j  Iowa DOT has Flood pictures here.








1 comment:

Dianne said...

My thoughts are with all those who are homeless at the moment. I hope they have something left when the water recides.

and I hope they get the help they need!

as for the Boy Scout camp - words escpae me.