Sunday, June 15, 2008

Tony Awards

OK, I wasn't going to do this but here goes. Live blogging the Tony's.

Whoppi is the Host and as usual I love her.
(She is one of only thirteen people who have won an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar, and a Tony Award, including Daytime Emmy Awards. She is the second African American female performer after Hattie McDaniel to win an Academy Award for acting. She has won two Golden Globe Awards and two Saturn Awards for her performances in Star Trek Generations and Ghost.)

Music & Lyrics: Lin-Manuel Miranda won for In the Heights
His acceptance speech was a Rap. Now I don't like Rap but I loved what he did. Just really cool and then he took a Puerto Rican flag out of his pocket and waved it. These emotional monents really get me. Some of them are just a bit much, however. Come on lady an actress should have better control.

I also love the musical numbers they show. So far there has been one from Cry Baby and South Pacific. and the best one of all from Gypsy. Patti LuPone has a wonderful set of lungs and a great stage presence. Usually the only way I get to see these numbers is at the movies.

Now Whoopie comes flying in as Mary Poppins. G__ she is just funny.

Barry Bostwick just introduced Grease. I love the music from this show. Almost as good as Bye Bye Birdie. I really think of this as "my" music. Actually I think of most music as "mine" except for RAP.

Harry Connick, Jr. (one of my favorites) just came out to make a presentation. He has a new hairdo. Looks a little like The Zohan. I like it.

You can see a complete list of the winners here.

I am not to impressed with the song from the Disney show The Littlest Mermaid. Disney just doesn't grab me the way they used to. To be fair they have another song going right now that I am also not fond of.

Commercials are stupid. Mr. Bill EEECH! Actually the Cadillac Commercial is OK. But the rest of them - Madison avenue is so out of touch with the real world. What ever happened to the old commercials that were actually fun to watch. "Where's the Beef!" comes to mind.

August: Osage County must be some kind of show. It has won a couple of times and both times to outstanding applause. The director just won and gave a good speech. Funny they don't play the music to speed them up for more major awards.

Another commercial - Consumer Credit of Des Moines. - I really hate this one.

Mark Rylance gave an outstanding acceptance speech. He just told everyone what to wear on various occasions. He did say thank-you at the very end but it was funny watching him dead pan his remarks and the reactions of people in the audience.
The genius speech from this season’s Tony Awards in full from Mark Rylance:

“When you’re in town wearing some kind of a uniform is helpful. Policeman, priest, etc. Driving a tank is very impressive or a car with official lettering on the side. If that isn’t to your taste, you could join the revolution, wear an armband, carry a home-made flag tied to a broom handle or placard bearing an incendiary slogan. At the very least, you should wear a suit and carry a briefcase and a cellphone. Or a team jacket, a baseball cap, and a cell phone. If you’re in the woods, the back country, some place far from any human habitation, it is a good idea to wear orange…and carry a gun and, or depending on the season, a fishing pole or a camera with a big lens. Otherwise…I will wrap it up now very quickly…otherwise it might appear that you don’t know what you’re doing and you’re just wandering the earth, no particular reason for being here, no particular place to go. Thanks very much for this.”

–Broadway Magazine, Broadway.tv

Deanna Dunagan just won another for August: Osage County.

In The Heights. Looks like an exciting vibrant musical.

They are showing commercials for Mamma Mia the movie which will be in theaters July 18, Jay plans to be there also. May see it twice. So there. Of course I will have to go see it in the afternoon as that is the night of our Table Lodge here at Arcadia. Tickets are $25.00 - E-mail me if you want one.

South Pacific just won the award for Best Musical (revival) . I think that the thing I remember the most about this musical was the song. You've Got to be Carefully Taught
Cable:
You've got to be taught
To hate and fear,
You've got to be taught
From year to year,
It's got to be drummed
In your dear little ear
You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught to be afraid
Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
And people whose skin is a diff'rent shade,
You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught before it's too late,
Before you are six or seven or eight,
To hate all the people your relatives hate,
You've got to be carefully taught!


It was all about prejudice folks and that message came through loud and clear to me. I think it is appropriate in the political climate of today when many are being taught to carefully hate. The hypocrites don't always see that. I carry that message in my heart and try not to hate.

Someone just sent the link to the Rylance acceptance speech in the comments if you want to read it.

Now Rent is on. I went to that once and was not really as enamored of it as other people. I thought it would be better but I was expecting La Boheme.

Liza Minneli has become a Matron. She is till as manic as ever.

Well it is 10:00 and Patti LuPone just gave her acceptance speech for Gypsy. I figured she would win.

In The Heights just won Best Musical. Everybody and their pet monkey just came up on stage. Excitement.

I LOVE WHOPPI! She just said "Good Night!" so I will also. ARTYAL, Hugs, Enjoy yourself. jcs



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Full Text of Rylance Speech is here..
http://www.broadway.tv/blog/broadway-blog/tony-awards-mark-rylance-broadway-acceptence-speech-full-text/
Broadway.tv

Ur-spo said...

yikes!
I am watching them as I read. I quickly zipped down to avoid hearing the end!

maryt/theteach said...

Jay the most excellent song "You've Got to Be Carefully Taught." Written so long ago but absolutely pertinent today! :)

Dianne said...

I love Whoopi too!

and Patti Lupone

and that song is wonderful, I had forgotten what musical it was from

thanks for taking me to the Tonys!

Anonymous said...

Link to a NY Times review of "August: Osage County". Makes me want to see it

http://theater2.nytimes.com/2007/12/05/theater/reviews/05august.html?scp=3&sq=August%3A++Osage+County&st=nyt